XIV

They entered a room with Cranks in cells. "We need to get out of here." Teresa said.

The two girls noticed Thomas looking down at himself and he turned to reveal a red stain spreading. Teresa asked, "Thomas?"

He fell to the ground and Ariella cried, "Thomas!" She knelt by his side and lifted up his shirt. "I'm not going to bloody lose you too!"

"Okay. Okay, we need to..." Teresa began.

"Oh, shit..." Thomas muttered.

"Find something." Teresa found a cloth. "Here. Here! Just put pressure on it. Hold it."

"You two gotta go. You two gotta go." Thomas said.

Ariella shook her head. "After you pulled an act of chivalry on me? No way."

Teresa shook her head as well. "No. Not without either of you."

Smoke filled the room and the door opened. Janson's voice spoke. "I admit, Teresa, you had me fooled. I thought we were friends." Ariella remained with Thomas while Teresa snuck around the room making noise. "Maybe it's just in your nature to betray the people closest to you. Come on. Let's not prolong this. We both know there's no way outta here. Let's not make this any more painful than it needs to be." Thomas moved, still hidden, as was Teresa. Ariella was still near Thomas, making sure he was okay. "Thomas. Teresa. Ariella."

Teresa moved to another area and was stopped by Janson. She backed away. "No. No."

"I think you have something of mine." Janson said, pointing the gun at her. She held up two vials. "Not that. Where is he? Where is she?"

"Just take it." Teresa said. "Leave them alone."

"What is it with you three? You think they're so special? They're lab rats. They were born with a gift. They never had to fight for it, they never earned it. The don't deserve it."

"Maybe. But it's theirs."

"What about you, Thomas? Ariella?" Janson asked. "What do you have to say? Don't you have enough blood on your hands already? You might not have been able to shoot her. But I can."

Thomas remained where he was, shaking his head at his girlfriend who was determined to get revenge. "Okay. Fine." Janson said. "Have it your way."

"Janson!" Thomas yelled, throwing a piece of equipment at the door holding the Cranks. Ariella threw something else, cracking the glass more.

"Missed, you little shits." Janson said.

"Did we?"

Janson stood in front of the Crank cages and they started to crack. "Oh, shit."

The Cranks started attacking him and the girls ran over to Thomas. "Come on. We need to go." Teresa said. "This way. Here." They ran through the halls and Thomas stumbled. They ran up the stairs to the roof and saw fire surrounding the building just about everywhere.

Teresa walked toward the roof door and a flame made its presence know. They were stuck on the roof.

Thomas fell and Ariella sat cradling him, hoping he wouldn't die. Teresa watched the couple worriedly.

Ariella ripped her shirt and tied it around Thomas's wound. He looked up at her and tried to smile, but the pain was too great.

Teresa pulled out vials of blood and gave them to her friends. "I'm sorry." She said. "I tried."

Ariella nodded. "I know. And I forgive you."

Teresa smiled and Thomas suddenly pressed a kiss to Ariella's lips. "I love you."

They saw the familiar plane and Teresa helped Ariella lift Thomas up. "Come on."

They made their way closer to the plane and Thomas slumped to the ground. "No!" Ariella cried. "Help me!"

They lifted him up and the hatch opened up to reveal Vince and the others. "Thomas! Ariella!"

"Now!" Teresa cried, helping Ariella lift him up.

They made their way to the edge of the building and Vince yelled, "Give me your hand!"

Thomas reached out his hand, but couldn't keep a grip on Vince. "Jump!" Vince cried.

The building to their left was falling and they knew they didn't have much time. Teresa thrusted Thomas to the plane, and then Ariella. "Reach!"

They pulled up the two of them. Just as Teresa was about to jump, she realized she might not have made it in time.

"Teresa!" Thomas cried, not wanting to lose a friend.

The building crumbled, and Teresa fell right along with it.

"No!" Ariella screamed.

Despite his throbbing gunshot wound, Thomas held her close to his chest as she sobbed.

The hatch remained open and Thomas and Ariella looked out at the crumbling city and billowing flames below. The others flipped Thomas over to see that he'd been shot. "He saved me." Ariella whispered.

Thomas's eyes closed as he passed out. Ariella rested her head on his chest and cried.