XI

Outside the WICKED building the five kids took a moment to rest next to circular benches with trees in the middle. "Well, they're definitely pissed." Gally said.

"How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asked, wanting to get out of the city as soon as possible.

"Uh, maybe 12 blocks from here. We can make it."

"Newt, how are feeling?" Minho asked hearing Newt cough repetitively.

"Terrible." Newt admitted. "It's good to see you, though." He placed a hand on Minho's shoulder, and Minho placed his hand on Newt's.

Minho slipped over to the other three. "Hey. How long has he been like this?"

"He'll be okay." Thomas replied. "We just gotta get to Brenda. She's got the serum."

Ariella's gaze turned to Newt. He was pale and black veins were everywhere. It looked like his saliva was black as well. She knew it was only a matter of time before he turned.

"Come on, let's go." Thomas said, walking over to Newt. Ariella offered him a smile as Thomas said, "Hey, Newt. Come on, bud. We gotta get you up. Let's go." He lifted Newt up and Newt was basically a ragdoll. "You okay?"

"Yeah." Newt replied.

Minho and Gally stayed where they were. "Why are you helping us, Gally? I put a spear through your chest."

"Yeah. Nobody's perfect, man."

Teresa tested Thomas's blood and Ariella's. She looked under a microscope at the two samples and her eyes widened.

An explosion caught everyone's attention. The front gate had been blown up. "We're supposed to take down WICKED, not the whole damn city." Gally said.

"Gally, come on." Thomas said, supporting Newt with Minho's help. They walked away, followed by Ariella.

--

"This is a mandatory evacuation. The last transport leaves in 38 minutes. I repeat, this is a mandatory evacuation."

Ava Paige walked into a lab, seeing the brunette girl "Teresa, what are you still doing here? We have to leave."

Teresa shook her head. "No, I can't leave. Not without Thomas or Ariella."

"It's too late for that. They're gone."

"No. You don't understand. I need more." I held up the vials of their blood. "Come. Look."

Ava looked through the microscope as I said, "It's not just slowing the virus down. It's destroying it."

She looked up at Teresa as the girl continued. "We need to find Thomas and Ariella."

--

The escapees made their way through the city. "Tunnels are right up ahead." Gally informed, hearing guards. "Shit!" Newt was standing above them and Gally hissed, "Hey! Stay low! Stay low!" They ducked behind a tall pillar.

Thomas peeked out to see police cars and crawled back. "Shit!"

"Get ready!" A guard cried.

"Damn it!" Gally muttered.

There was an explosion and blazing fires and gunfire broke out. "Get down, get down!" Thomas said, pushing Newt down. "Stay down! Stay down!"

Ariella peeked up to see what was going on and Thomas forced her back down. "Listen, Ariella! Stay down!"

"We gotta go. We gotta go." Gally said.

Thomas and Minho picked up Newt as Thomas said, "Come on. Let's move, let's move."

They ran past the gunfire, hoping they wouldn't get hit.

In the walkie, Thomas said, "Get him in, get him in. Brenda, are you there?"

"Thomas, I'm here." Brenda answered.

"We're not gonna make it."

"Wait, what are you talking about?

"Just take the others. Get everybody out while you still can."

"No."

"Brenda."

"I'm not leaving you or Ariella. Okay? So forget it."

"Even though you should?"

Brenda frowned, hearing gunfire. They were close. "Thomas, don't worry. I'm coming to you."

"What are you talking about?"

Brenda laughed. "Our ride's here! Just look for us near the tunnels."