VI

Gally opened a door into a bustling area. Ariella noticed everyone was wearing red bracelets, which she thought was strange.

"Red zone, departing station on five minutes. Thank you."

The kids climbed a set of stairs and saw huge skyscrapers everywhere. "This is a long way from the Glade." Newt commented.

"Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew. Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance."

Ariella frowned. "Mandatory curfew?"

Gally ignored her and noticed a police car. "Yeah, we better get off these streets. And I know it's hard, but act like you've seen it before."

They followed Gally and ran across the street dodging police cars. They hid against the wall of a building and a police cruiser passed them. "They've definitely upped security. I'm guessing you shanks have something to do with that." After a moment, he said, "Alright, let's get outta here."

The group ran through the streets again and came to the wall. "Alright, Newt, you're up." The boys helped Newt up.

"I got it." Thomas said before jumping up. "Gally, lift Ari up. I'll grab her."

Gally did so and Thomas grabbed Ariella and she set a foot down. He made sure both feet were down before releasing her.

Gally jumped up and the group quietly ran into a stairwell. "There it is." Gally said, gesturing to the big building directly in front of them. "If WICKED's got Minho, that's where they'll be keeping him." Gally picked up a telescope and set it up. "Lawrence has been trying to find a way in for years. Place is crawling with soldiers. They got surveillance everywhere. Scanners on every floor."

"Sounds like a bloody fortress." Newt said.

"Yeah, I thought you said you had a way in." Thomas added.

"I might." Gally replied.

"You might?" Ariella asked as her eyes narrowed.

"What the hell do you mean "might"?" Thomas asked.

"Take a look." Gally said, motioning to his telescope. Thomas looked to see Teresa. He glanced to Ariella and shook his head, knowing she'd go batshit. "I said I had a way in. I didn't say you were gonna like it."

Back at base, Thomas said, "No. There's gotta be another way."

"Like what?" Gally asked. "You've seen the building. She is our only way in."

"You really think she's gonna help us?"

"I don't plan on asking her for permission."

"Am I missing something here?" Brenda spoke up. "This is the same girl who betrayed us, correct? Same dick?"

Gally jerked his thumb towards Brenda. "I like her."

Ariella nodded. "Same dick."

Gally grinned and Ariella started pacing and running her hands through her hair. "What's going on?" Brenda asked.

"What, are you scared your little friend's gonna get hurt?" Newt taunted. "Hmm?"

Ariella lunged at him and was pulled back by Thomas as he continued, "Because this has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho. Has it?"

Ariella's eyes narrowed. "What are you going on about?"

"Teresa. She's the only reason that Minho's even missing in the first place. Now we finally have an opportunity to get him back. And what? You don't want to because of her? Because deep down inside, she's still your friend, isn't she? Admit it."

Ariella pursed her lips. "Newt, I..."

"Don't lie to me!" He cried pushing her against the wall. "Don't lie to me!"

She ran over to Thomas, hiding behind him. Newt had never snapped at her like that before, and she was suddenly afraid of him.

Newt met Ariella's terrified gaze. "Sorry. I'm sorry."

He walked off and Thomas turned to Ariella. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Come on. I want to see how he is. He's not himself and I'm worried."

Thomas kissed the top of her head and they walked up to the roof where Newt was seated. He looked at Ariella. "Sorry about that. Back there."

"It's alright, Newt. What's going on with you?" She asked.

Newt let out a sigh. "I guess I can't hide this anymore." Thomas and Ariella knelt down as he lifted up his shirt sleeve to reveal a small cut with black veins crawling around his lower arm.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Thomas asked.

"Didn't think it would make any difference. All I know is that WICKED must have put me in that maze for a reason. Maybe it was literally just so they could tell the difference between immunes like you two and people like me."

"Newt, we can still fix this." Ariella said softly. "Alright? We can."

Newt shook his head. "Don't worry about me. This is about Minho. Now he needs us. So if there is even the slightest chance that we can save him, we can get him out of there, then we have to take that. No matter what the cost."

Thomas nodded. "Okay. I hear you."

Ariella gave Newt a sad smile as the three of them fell into a somewhat uncomfortable silence.