XII

The Gladers ran towards the tunnels and Gally said encouragingly, "Newt, we're almost there."

"Just leave me." Newt begged.

His pleas weren't heard. Guards came out of the tunnel and Gally said, "Back! Back!" Once again, the group ducked behind a wall.

They heard engines whirring and looked up to see the plane. "Okay, that's them." Thomas said. "It's them. We gotta go. We gotta go."

"Go without me, man." Newt said. He knew he had little time left for being himself before the virus took over. Black liquid was already running down his chin from his mouth and his breathing was labored.

"Minho." Thomas said. "You gotta run ahead, grab the serum, and get back to us as soon as you can. Ari, I need your Med-Jack skills right now. I don't know if it'll help, but right now, we need to do everything we can."

Minho looked at Newt. "Minho, go." Thomas said.

Gally nodded. "He's right. I can cover. Besides; you got one of the best Med-Jacks here."

"Thank you." Newt said, grabbing Minho's arm. "Thank you, Minho."

"Hey, you just hang on." Minho said. "You hear me?"

"Go, Minho, go!" Gally said, covering for him.

Newt watched as his friends left and he felt himself slipping away into becoming a monster. Thomas's voice pulled him back. "Newt? Newt? Hey! Hey! Newt! Hey!"

"No. No, Thomas. Ari, stop. Please."

Ariella felt tears dripping down her face as she watched her friend suffer and refuse help. "No, Newt. Later. Later." Thomas said. "Really gotta go. Come on."

Newt ripped a necklace from his neck. "Look, you gotta take this."

"We gotta get you up, now."

"No, just take it!" Newt yelled, unlike himself. "Please. Please, Tommy. Please."

Thomas took the necklace. "Alright. Alright. I need you to give me everything you got. You and me, right now. Ari, help. Let's go. You ready? Come on, ready? Here we go. One, two, three." Together, the two of them supported Newt's weight, although Ariella suspected Newt was leaning more heavily on Thomas.

They walked in the middle of the gunfire, braving it. They entered an abandoned building and Newt started grunting. "We're almost there, Newt. Stay with us, come on."

Newt fell from their grasp. "Newt, no, no. Hey! Come on."

Ariella knelt next to Newt while Thomas knelt above. Thomas gave her a nod to let her know he was breathing and then started dragging Newt.

Ariella lifted Newt's legs, but the two of them couldn't make it very far. They fell to the ground and Teresa's voice came through a loudspeaker. "Thomas? Ariella? Can you hear me? I need you two to listen to me. I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need both of you to come back. Thomas, Ariella, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back. And this will al finally be over. Please. Just come back to me. I know you'll do the right..."

She was cut off and Newt stood up, his back facing his friends. "Newt?" Thomas asked. "Newt?" Newt growled and lunged at Thomas.

Thomas glanced to Ariella, silently telling her to run and hide. Newt started chasing after her and Thomas cried, "Hey! Come after me! Leave her alone! Newt? Newt, it's me. It's me!"

Newt rested on all fours for a moment and said, "Tommy, Ari, kill me!"

Newt lunged at Thomas again and started choking Thomas, but the latter managed to free himself.

"Newt, we're here. I'm here. Newt, please. Please!" Thomas begged.

"I'm sorry, Tommy. I'm sorry, Ari." Newt said.

Ariella slowly stepped closer as she said, "It's okay, Newt."

Thomas nodded. "It's okay. It's okay."

Newt grabbed a gun and pressed it to his head. Thomas cried, "No!" He swatted it to the ground.

Newt turned his back to Thomas and pulled out a knife and pressed it closer to Thomas's heart. The knife started to enter Thomas's skin, and he screamed in pain before kicking Newt away. Thomas noticed how close Ariella was and screamed, "Get back!"

He dodged the knife that Newt was swinging and then all stopped. As Thomas pulled away from their accidental hug, Thomas saw that Newt had stabbed himself in the heart. "Tommy." He whispered.

Newt fell to the ground and Thomas tried to break his fall. "No, no. No, no, no. Newt? Ari, help!"

She ran over and checked his pulse. A loud sob escaped her lips and hot tears started flowing down her cheeks. Thomas shook his head. He didn't even have to ask. His girlfriend's current emotion said it all.

Newt's glassy eyes were looking up at the sky, seeing nothing but darkness forevermore.

Brenda ran over, just a few moments too late. The two Gladers looked up at her, revenge, anger, sadness, and hatred swimming in their eyes.

Thomas picked up the gun and took Ariella's hand. The three of them stared at each other for a long moment before the Gladers walked off, making sure the creator of the whole mess paid the ultimate price.

[Newt! :'(. I cry everytime. This chapter was hard to write.]