43. Exes, camp fires and big mouths (Pt. 2)

"Hey! What the fu-" the wimp brazenly stands up, as if he's ready to kill the person who's just watered him. Sit back, honey, you're not scarying anyone. Anyway, he comes off his high horse as soon as he sees his girlfriend standing right in front of him.

"Good evening you piece of shit" I've never seen Mel so mad. No, I've never seen her mad at anyone in general before I inadvertently told her about Mike's little forgetfulness. I accidentally unleashed a fury and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

"Melanie! What... what are you doing here? You didn't call back and I thought you weren't coming..." his girlfriend baptizes him with a drink and insults him and he doesn't even ask for an explanation, he's just surprised to see her. This relationship was meant to drown anyway, regardless my intervention.

"I didn't call because I didn't want to hear your stupid voice!"

"Uh. Ok. But you're hearing it right now, so..." I don't understand if he's dumb or just playing it.

"Shut up, asshole"

"Hi guys, hi Eddie!" I chime in during a break in their not so pleasant conversation and take the opportunity to say hello, even though my waving hand fails at catching the attention of the people round the table, who are all focused on the quarrelling couple. Eddie gives me a half bad look, then goes back to listening to whatever boyfriend and girlfriend are saying without answering to me. There's a guy I've never seen before who's sitting beside him. I guess we gotta put introductions off until later.

"Now what? Won't you say anything?" Mel looks angrily at him.

"Well you told me to shut up"

"God, I hate you!"

"Wait, is there something wrong?" what?! Nooooo, what makes you think something's going on?!

"Something wrong... he wants to know if something's wrong!" the girl turns towards me to share her disbelief "Tell him what's wrong!"

At this point the gang finally acknowledges my presence too, since everyone turns to look at me, waiting for answers. Their faces are different, but look the same in some particular aspects as I look at each one of them: perplexed, dropped jaw, confused stare, embarrassment. But it's when I look at Meg that I realize my plan could as well fail: first of all, because she's so fucking hot and so easily, she's hot just by wearing a fucking plaid shirt that's buttoned up to the neck and plain denim shorts, whereas I wandered from shop to shop all the afternoon to find the tightest leather pants ever invented, which I had to adapt my breathing process to, and a black tulle top made of a very small amount of fabric, and that small amount is totally see through, except for two invisible dark spots covering the nipples and not much more; not to mention the torture I had to endure from Melanie before going out, when she was doing my hair while ranting against that moron of her boyfriend and basically pulled out 75% of them. And all this for what? To get disgustingly catcalled by a couple of losers at the bar? Not to mention Eddie and his total incapability at giving any kind of gratification: wether you're naked or have a parka on, it's the same for him. Maybe that girl down there is right, in the end: just wear a fucking tracksuit and fuck off! No, well, that's too much, I can't. Honestly I don't understand, how can you go out on a saturday night wearing a tracksuit? I've never worn a tracksuit, not even at the gym, I've never owned one and I'd never wear anything like that even if I was stuck at home, I can't think of a more mortifying piece of clothing. Ok, it's Angie so hiding is surely much better than showing, but this... this means not having a single ounce of love for yourself. And it's always the same tracksuit, I hope she washes it once in a while...

The second reason why I'm afraid the plan's gonna fail is Meg's presence itself: I mean, blondie won't necessarily throw her arms around the loser guitarist after all the fuzz, she could as well take it bad. I'd better not risk.