59. Hands, donuts and blind dates

"Are they filming inside or outside?" we park outside Miller Community Center, as I get out of the car and notice some barriers at the end of the road and I suspect they must have been put there to delimit the set.

"Outside, I think. I mean, they generally film exterior day scenes first, then they film indoors" Angie shrugs and retrieves from the backseats one of the two boxes I borrowed from the mini mart to carry the insanely large amount of donuts she prepared.

"I believed they were filming interior locations, Stone told me about Cam renting a whole apartment building. He'll take part in a shooting too in the next few days, in a garage or something like that" I do the same with the other box and slam the door shut with my hip, while Angie puts her box on the roof of the car to lock it.

"I guess this is the apartment building he told you about, if multiple scenes are set in this location, they're gonna stay here for a while. Anyway they're shooting the band scene tomorrow, Eddie told me"

"What do you think, are these enough?" I joke as I lift the box slightly, walking on the sidewalk and trying to pay attention to where I'm going despite the bulky box.

"Hahaha oh well, they're not so many after all, if you think about it, there must be something like 40/50 people working on set... a hundred pieces seem ok to me"

"Sorry, I think I didn't understand right, did you fry a hundred donuts?"

"More or less"

"One hundred??"

"I don't have class until next week, I have a little more free time..."

"During Spring Break people usually go on holiday or get trashed at parties or both"

"I cook instead, I spend my time in a more productive way, granting myself the access to a true movie set"

"You got a pass hanging on your neck with your name and photo, they'd let you in anyway, even without the goods"

"But the welcome is warmer like this, trust me"

"What did you bring the first time?" I know there was a first time for Angie, with Meg, at the beginning of the week, at Gas Works Park. This time her roommate blew her off, so she came and picked me up at Westlake's at the end of my shift. She basically forced me. I can't see why it's so difficult for her to go alone and empty handed to a movie set she was specifically invited to by the director himself. At worst, they could keep me out but from what I heard, they're not too strict. So what's the problem?

"Focaccia. This time I went with sweets"

We get to the crossroad and, as soon as we turn the corner, we're met by a guy from the crew, who nods at Angie first, then at me, and then moves one of the barriers slightly out of the way to let us in. It looks like he already knows my friend.

"Right on time for lunch break!" the guy rubs his hands, while Angie temporarily places her box on a fire hydrant on the side of the street and opens it a little so he can take his donut.

"Take two, there are many" she urges him.

"There are enough to feed the whole of Cleopatra's crew, don't worry" I add, although the guy surely doesn't need any encouragement from me to have seconds.

"Thank you. Now go, I know Cam's waiting for you!" Richie, that's what's written on his pass, folds the flaps back to close the box and says bye, with his mouth full.

"See? Warm welcome" Angie smiles and after taking a more secure hold on the box, walks up to the actual set, followed by me.

"Can I ask you something?"