23. Cosmopolitan

"If I didn't see them with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it" I say looking at the roses on Angie's desk and enjoying their scent.

"Neither would I" my roommate adds with a monotonous voice as she's sitting on the bed, her face hidden behind a ridiculously big book. She's been like that since lunch time, when she got back home from class, and now it's four o'clock in the afternoon.

"Now, put your book down and let's talk about it!" I give a suggestion, which is meant to sound more like an order.

"That's not the best thing to tell a student who's about to take her first four, I mean four, college exams of her life"

"You have finals in January, not now!"

"Did I mention they're four?"

"You'vegot plenty of time" I sigh. Still a month to go, come on!

"Time that I'm gonna spend mostly eating, drinking and partying, here and at home with my parents, this means I won't be fully in my right mind to study. I need to move forward with my work"

"You've been moving forward since August, just relax!"

"Meg..."

"Relax...and tell me what's wrong in what happened yesterday" I add putting salt into the wound again.

"The subject you're suggesting and relaxing are two things that don't go well together" she snaps finally looking away from her book and giving me a sideways glance.

"It's a matter of different point of views, my dear. I'd like to remind you that while I was having a close encounter with Mike's new girlfriend, and crying hysterically in Matt's car soon after, with him even lending me his handkerchief, you were having the time of your life with your Jer Jer, who brought you roses and cuddled with you"

"And didn't want to touch me at all"

"Angie, we talked about it already. You got it so bad, but I can't see why. I didn't think you were so... focused on sex, I have to admit that I find it kinda funny" I giggle. It means she's human, more human than what she wants to show.

"I'm not fixated on sex, but somebody we both know is pretty focused on that. Somebody who only did it with me once, a week ago. Do you know what I mean? He sees me after one week, we're home alone and what does he do? Nothing" she replies without looking at me, while she plays with her fingers on the corners of the book.

"Come on, he had to leave soon, maybe he didn't want to because he had too little time"

"Two hours, the length of a movie, it's not a little time, it's much more than enough to make what I thought he liked to do"

"But he does like it!"

"Clearly not with me"

"Ohs hut up! Maybe he was tired"

"God, Meg, this is your explanation for every time Jerry acts weird! From how you depict him he should be sleepy and sluggish all the time" she snorts and closes the book, placing it on the nightstand.

"Hahahah"

"I can tell you he was, and is always, wide awake and quick-thinking. Maybe too much"

"I mean maybe he just didn't really want to..."

"That's exactly what I've been trying to tell you for the last thirty minutes!" she exclaims finally looking at my face.

"But it doesn't mean he doesn't want you. It can happen sometimes, you know, it surely happened to you as well. Sometimes you're not really in the mood for that, but that doesn't mean you don't like the guy"