-two-

"Tobias Eaton... Dauntless."

When Tobias Eaton transferred from Abnegation to Dauntless, everyone in the faction knew. The faction leaders son leaving; its was bound to cause a stir. Rumours began to spread of why the 16 year old boy would leave such a loving and selfless faction, especially when it was assumed he received Abnegation in his aptitude test.

One girl was not surprised. She was more proud than anything. The boy followed his heart rather than his test and the result his father made him receive. She was proud he went through with it, after all his was having second thoughts the night before.

***

The dark haired girl had yet again climbed through the window of the Eaton boys bedroom, and patiently waited on his bed for him to enter his room. When he didn't he wasn't even phased by the silhouette in his room, sitting down next to her and resting his head on her shoulder.

Ever since the night they met, Annabelle had visited the boy everyday after school. Tobias was a bit weary at first, worried about the repercussions both him and the younger girl would face if they were caught. However, as Annabelle refused to back down and continued to visit, the boy grew to accept her as a friend, as if she was a comfort blanket to the boy, someone he could confide in.

"You got Abnegation?" the dark haired girl asked, eager to ask, despite breaking the comfortable silence.

He lifted up his head off of her shoulder and nodded it solemnly.

"But you're going to transfer where?" The girl continued, "Well, anywhere's better than here."

"I might just stay here," He paused and looked at Annabelle directly in the eyes, "with you."

"You and I both know you can't do that," She told him, "One, you deserve to leave and somewhere you can be happy. Two, you need to leave to get away from Marcus. And Three, I'll be leaving in two years time, you know this." She looked at him sadly, the worry in his eyes was obvious, as if he were scared.

"What's wrong?" Annabelle whispered after a moment of silence between the two, she could sense it.

"What if he comes after me? I try to leave but he just brings me back?"

"If you leave he won't be able to reach you, and that's the perfect position to be in."

***

Annabelle's parents were good friends with the faction leader so when rumours of alcohol abuse and domestic abuse came into their household they were quick to defend their friends and leader.

"Marcus would never commit such acts, the children at school are just spreading lies, especially Erudite, you know they don't like us. Marcus is the leader of our faction, we can trust him." Annabelle's mother spoke softly to Annabelle's younger sister who asked in the first place. "You know that right?" She asked, still aimed towards her younger daughter.

"Yes, Mommy," The youngest Kennedy replied, smiling brightly.

The wise woman then turned towards her oldest child, "Right, Annabelle?" She asked.

"Of course, Mom," Annabelle replied with a little pause beforehand. Annabelle knew the reason Tobias was going to leave weeks before he actually did. Annabelle knew the rumours spread consisted of the truth and Annabelle knew Marcus was someone she couldn't and wouldn't trust.