Chapter 6

After the day I had just had with Alex, the last thing I expected was to see Angela Danvers show up at the bar. And I hated to admit it, but she managed to make me forget about the moment I had shared with Alex back when we were stuck in that closet.

Or whatever it was, but it had been something. Hadn't it?

Angela's dark brown eyes were outlined in black eyeliner, her lips a deep red, and she looked... amazing. She normally did, and even when we first met, which is when she was wearing a simple white button-up and black slacks, I had always thought she was beautiful. I had always wanted her. I had pursued her for a year until she finally gave in.

She was watching me now, her hand slowly stirring the drink she had ordered as we sat at the bar. Not too long ago I used to daydream about moments like this, being able to sit at a bar with Angela Danvers. I stole a glance at Alex, but the blonde hadn't seemed to care that Angela had kissed me, and I had to admit that kind of stung. She wasn't even looking back at us, but instead doing her job as she had any other night.

Maybe the moment in the closet was just her being Alex, and I should accept what everyone has kept hinting to me... that she fools around. A lot. And sometimes with her employees. Right, Cyn?

Apparently I was still in a relationship so I guess I wasn't entirely available anyway. This was news to me, but I wasn't going to tell her that. "Angela, what are you doing here?" I asked.

Angela frowned at me. "What do you mean what am doing here? What are you doing here?"

"You obviously knew I was here," I pointed out. She lives nowhere near here. "So you need to explain first."

Angela chewed cutely on her bottom lip, and I remembered kissing them, kissing her. Hungrily devouring each other during any free moments we had alone. I felt a pang in my chest and I realized I hadn't allowed myself to think about her since running away, and that now that she was back in my life... I had missed her.

"When I heard you were missing I..." Angela placed her hand on my thigh and squeezed, but she refused to look at me, and I knew she was hiding her pain. "Fuck, Val, I thought you were gone for good."

"Not for lack of trying," I muttered, placing my hand over the one on my leg. I was kind of surprised no one had come over to yell at me, Cyn specifically. Maybe she saw me talking to an attractive woman and thought, Oh, that leaves Alex for me. The thought made my mood plummet and I looked at the floor.

"Is something wrong?" Angela asked, gently tilting my face up with her finger, and I flashbacked to Alex doing the same thing just the day before, how everything had been right the second I looked into her eyes.

"No," I said, smiling at her as I gently removed her hand and instead held it in my lap. "I really missed you, Ange..." I admitted, suddenly feeling as shy as I had been when I first started talking to her.

"You... need to come back, Val," she said, her eyes shiny with what were potential tears. "I missed you too," she added softly.

"I can't. You know the situation. I have to leave here as soon as possible..."

"Where will you go?" Angela asked. She bit her lip again and I wondered if I had picked up the habit from her. "We could leave together."

I stared at her. "What?" We hadn't dated that long... and our relationship was hardly what I would call stable considering the circumstances we had started dating under.

She gripped both my hands in her own and held them to her chest. "This is the only way we can be together, or else..." She looked uncomfortable. "Your brother contacted me. He's the one that told me where you were."