Chapter 16

When Donato woke up he saw a beautiful blonde woman sitting by his bedside.

She was reading a fashion magazine, one slender leg crossed over the other. Her long, golden tresses were cascading over her shoulders and down her back in waves. She was wearing strappy black heels, tight pants, a deep blue blouse with a plunging neckline, and a long, black blazer that seemed to show off the length of her flat abdomen and slim waist. There was a regal air about her and a sophisticated, even slightly arrogant attitude that he could sense just from the way she sat in her chair, as if it were a throne rather than a cheap piece of metal.  

He looked her up and down, smiling at how flawless a creature she was. "Un angelo," he murmured, before he could stop himself.

This seemed to get the blonde's attention, and her blue eyes were instantly on his green ones. They were so harsh and full of ice that he instantly took back what he had said. She was not an angel, but perhaps a demon.

"Oh good," she purred, her eyes holding him. "You're awake."

Donato glanced at Salvatore, who was leaning up against the wall beside the door, his arms folded over his chest. He looked up at the sound of Alex talking and pushed up from the wall when he saw Donato had woken. "Padre," he said, stepping forward.

"Who is this?" Donato asked, looking at Alex again. She arched a brow at him, and that's when she suddenly appeared very familiar.

Salvatore shrugged. "She must be someone important, because she managed to break all the hospital rules and has been sitting beside you ever since she got here. They won't tell her to leave, no matter how many times I tell them—"

"It's quite alright," Donato said, silencing Salvatore with a look. He again looked at the blonde. He couldn't keep his eyes off of her for long, especially now that she seemed familiar. "While I am flattered such a beautiful woman would like to visit me in the hospital I would love to know who you are."

"You don't recognize me?" Alex asked, both her brows lifting this time. She lowered her magazine to her lap, a playful smile on her lips. "You wound me." She didn't actually expect him to recognize her, but he had looked like he did for a second there.

Donato's eyes narrowed, as if he she were some abstract painting that would suddenly make sense if he squinted. Finally, it hit him. "Adrian's daughter," he said. He attempted to sit up in bed but a pain in his side prevented it. He grunted in pain, his hand feeling the bandaged area.

Salvatore strode over to him. "Nurse!" he called out.

A nurse walked in but Alex, who had stood up, waved him away. "Not now, Todd."

"But—"

Alex's eyes narrowed and she sent so much ice his way the nurse froze in place. "Get out, or I'll have you escorted out."

He turned and exited.

Salvatore watched him leave in awe and then set his glare on the blonde, his jaw tightening. "Who are you?" He demanded to know, fists forming at his sides.

"She's Victoria Sterling," Donato said, eyeing her from his bed.

Alex smiled at him, but it was a deadly smile. She lowered to casually sit on the edge of Donato's bed. "Actually, Victoria is my cousin. My name is Alexis, Alexis Sterling."

Salvatore's eyes widened. "Sterling," he repeated. He moved backwards and pressed his back up against the wall again, his arms folding across his chest as he slowly looked Alex up and down again. "I see." Now it made sense.