Chapter 15

Noises. Sounds. Darkness.

I'm only vaguely aware of the pain, but I know my body is so drugged up on something that I am, for the most part, numb to it. I can barely move and it's only on those rare occasions when I can feel someone touching me do I manage to surprise myself and move a limb. Sometimes I can only move my fingers. Who is touching me? Why are they touching me? Where are they touching me? I'm so out of touch with my own body I can't pinpoint where the sensation of touch is coming from. A part of me thinks that might be a good thing.

I feel so trapped that I sometimes wish I wasn't here anymore, in the dark. But then I get my wish and the drugs start to wear off and I become aware of things I didn't want to be aware of.

There are times where I'm so lucid I can actually open my eyes for more than a few seconds, but soon after I feel a pinch on my arm, and the world goes dark again.

I don't mind it anymore, the dark. Here I am peaceful. Here I can just sit around and wait and think and feel nothing. I know that when the drugs wear off my body will erupt in pain. Every nerve ending will feel like it's on fire, I'll taste blood in my mouth, the light hanging above me will burn my eyes. Maybe I'll catch a glimpse of that boy again, the one that hovers above me, a slight frown on his face, his cool hand on what I think is my forehead. Sometimes I feel a hand in mine, comforting me, pitying me. At least... I think it's my hand.

Sometimes I get angry, trapped like this.

This wasn't my plan, wasn't how this was supposed to go.

I was prepared to live the rest of my life as a Greco, not as a slave to the Costas, if that's even what they're doing to me. How long do they plan on keeping me alive for in this state? I know I said that I'd rather be alive in a world where Alex is, but at this rate I think I'd rather be dead than barely alive.

Someone puts their arms under my knees and under my neck. I know I'm being carried somewhere because I can just barely feel the air move across my skin. Just barely.

"How long has she been out?"

"Twenty-four hours. We've been keeping her drugged up..."

It felt like longer than a day. It was more like I have been awake, trapped in this sleeping body for centuries.

I could hear their voices though, that meant it was wearing off again.

I felt movement stop, I felt myself lowered onto a new surface, this one slightly softer than the last, which had felt like metal. I wouldn't move this time, wouldn't let them know. I wanted to at least be able to see where I was.

"What's Ciro planning on doing with her?"

"Selling her, just like any other whore. Probably to someone that will make sure Donato never finds her. I give her a week to live, tops."

I heard one of them let out a low whistle, but it sounded strange to me, made my head hurt.

"Anthony is in her room a lot."

Anthony Costas? He was the eldest son and heir of Ciro Costas. I've heard of him.

"Yeah, Ciro wants his son to fuck her before he sells her. As far as I know, he just sits there and watches her. I don't think he's done anything yet."

Was that the boy I caught glimpses of? When I looked into his eyes I didn't see a murder, a rapist, or even a mobster's son in them. He didn't want to hurt me anymore than I wanted to hurt him.

Another low whistle.

"That would piss me right off if I were her father. If a filthy Greco ever touched my daughter I'd slaughter them all in their sleep. Any word on Donato's recovery?"