Chapter 3

It was finally the day of the party.

I took some medicine to calm my nerves, as I knew my anxiety was too high.

I put on my gown, jewelry, a bit of make up, and made my way downstairs.

My parents had the same reaction as last time. They looked at me tearfully, and commented how beautiful I was. How grown up I was at the ripe age of 22.

In my past life, I uninterestedly shook off their compliments, but regretted it years later.

When I got downstairs, I rushed to hug my parents and to thank them heartfully and sincerely.

As we made our way to the party, I looked at mother's proud expression while looking at me, and suddenly, I felt like everything was good.

**

The party began, and I started to relax.

The party was for the celebration of a big company's anniversary, and a lot of important guests were invited.

My father was one of them.

It had been a while, but I still didn't see Hiroto. I gradually started to loosen up and talked to my friends here and there.

I thought too fast.

There he was, wearing a black suit and a white vest, his dirty-blond hair gelled into perfection, and grinning at the V.I.P invitee he was invited by. His tall stature and good looks made it impossible for him to go unnoticed, and he soon garnered a lot of attention among female guests.

His pale skin was gleaming under the party lights, almost giving him an ethereal look...

Hmph, if only they knew what a monster he is.

I hurriedly turned my face away after our eyes met, and rushed to the opposite side.

My heart was racing, mainly from fear.

I thought I could keep my emotions in check. But I can't.

It was fully impossible.

While I was trying to fast-walk without anybody noticing, I bumped into a hard chest.

I looked up to see Mikoto-san, the very man whom I turned down my engagement with. His confused stare melted out into a happy one, as he wordlessly embraced me.

"Hinata, how have you been?"

His calm voice soothes me down, accompanied by a gentleness I couldn't quite place.

Pulling away from me, he peers into my eyes, as if he was trying to read my mind.

"I'm fine Mikoto-san, thank you for asking."

His silent eyes crinkle out in a smile.

"Is that so?"

Before Mikoto-san could fit another sentence in, we were interrupted by a gruff cough.

Is that...

I looked around to see my worst nightmare, Hiroto, staring at Mikoto-san fiercely.

The fierceness eventually melts out into a peaceful expression, but I got confused on why Hiroto was fierce in the first place.

In my confusion, I didn't even realize I was standing next to the man I hate, and once I realized, I quickly went over to Mikoto-san's side.

Something flashed in Hiroto eyes, but I couldn't quite tell what.

After exchanging pleasantries with Mikoto, Hiroto turned towards me with a meaningful smile.

"And, who is this young lady?"

I internally stiffened, as Mikoto started introducing me to Hiroto.

"This is Hinata Koizumi. I've known her since childhood."

Hiroto's smile grew as he stepped closer to me. I saw sadness flash through his eyes, but it was as quick as lightning.

"Lady Hinata, may I make your acquaintance?"

At these words, the same ones from the past, my heart gave a struggled cry.

"No."

Without thinking, I denied his request, leading to a surprised look from Mikoto and a dark expression from Hiroto.

"I mean to say I'm good on friends. Thank you though, Hiroto-san."

I tried to clear up my sudden rejection, and it seemed like Mikoto fell for it. Hiroto, however, stared at me with hard eyes, feelings of hurt visible on his face.

I quickly said farewells to Hiroto and Mikoto, and made my way to the terrace. As I let the wind lift up my long hair, I felt a presence behind me.

I dreaded that it would be Hiroto, but it wasn't.

I turned around to find a handsome youth, tall, and serious. His face looked grim and his mouth etched into a straight line. He was dressed in all black, giving him a scary look. Despite that, he still gave off an attractive aura, a domineering one at that.

"You. Do you want to marry me?"

Huh!?

"Pardon?"

He clicked his tongue, and stared at me irritatedly. His deep voice once again threw out surprising words.

"I said, marry me."

"I heard the first time, but why?"

The youth stepped closer to me, until I was pushed into a corner and there was no space between us.

"Reincarnation...what a fascinating subject it is..."

Looking at me dead in the eyes, this youth muttered these scary words.

Crap! Does he know about my reincarnation? But how!?