Chapter 31: Search

Howls erupted in the forest as the connection to Mac broke. Dora leaned back, her hands covering her mouth sobbing. My hands were in fists in Mac's shirt their shaking evident for all to see.

Gone. He was gone. Gone.

I heard rustling in the trees. Lamarr, Kimber, Cain and Seth emerged still in Hybrid form. Looking up at them, I didn't know what to say. What do you say? Everyone deals with death in different ways, the only thing I could do was be supportive and help them through it. Crunching sounds were heard as they started to shift back.

Wulf placed his hand on Dora's shoulder, she looked up at him crying. They were mates. I don't know how I know that the lights I see jumping between them means their mates. No one else seems to notice the lights dancing between them. Must be part of my third heritage that sees it. My day is getting better and better.

The look on Dora's face broke my heart. I was supposed to protect everyone, keep them safe. I couldn't even do that. More tears threatened to fall, but I wiped them away, standing up. I don't grieve, I get even.

"Octavia," my voice sounding hollow.

"Yeah," she cried against Mason.

"I need you to extract the poison from Mac and make the antidote."

She stared at me, shocked. "He just died. And you want me to mutilate him. We need to grieve."

"No," she shuddered at the look in my eyes. "We need to get Kyle and Emily back. You can grieve after that! Lamarr, Cain, take his body to the medical room."

They bent down picking him up. Dora clutched at Mac's hand; I pried her fingers off.

"Focus," I said.

She looked at me, her eyes bloodshot.

"Seth, what happened?" I said, letting go of Dora.

He watched Mac being carried away, clearly in shock.

"Soldier," I snapped, power in my voice.

His head snapped towards me. "They took off in a helicopter. Model "Agusta" craft. They had it close by, knowing they would need a quick extraction."

"Budur," I yelled.

He stepped forward struggling to hold onto Lucian. Lucian wanted to bolt, straining against his brothers arms. No good would come of him rushing after them blindly. I stepped forward and slapped him. His head cracked to the side.

"I need your A game, Lucian. We form a plan than go after them," I said, power in my voice.

He looked at me, shocked. He stopped struggling against Budur.

"Budur, do you have maps of the surrounding airfields?"

"Yes," he said quietly, letting go of Lucian.

"Good. I need to know your enemies and who would want to hurt you!" I said walking towards the house. "Seth, we need our clothes and equipment."

He nodded, running off towards the truck.

"I'll help you," Gabriel said, stepping towards me.

"No," I couldn't look at him.

He grabbed my arm yanking me to him.

"I'll helping you. You're my mate! Em is my sister!" he growled.

Dora gasped behind me. The feelings spreading through my body from our contact, made my stomach do flips. His eyes blazing blue burned into my soul trying to make me submit; to accept him. Anger spread through my body; light flaring behind my door. He dared! I took a deep breathe, pulling my arm from his grasp. The anger dissipated as soon as his fingers left my arm. This is what I was afraid of. I can't control myself around him. His presence would only slow me down.