Chapter 10: Secret

Watching Octavia hug Kyle, I felt a little jealous. I wanted to hug Kyle, but didn't like when people touched me.

Ironic isn't it.

Octavia looked up to me holding her mate, "Can you let him go?" she asked.

Pushing his arm up one last time as a warning, which got a hiss from him and a glare from Octavia, I gave him a slight push forward releasing his arm. He started to turn at me, but Octavia quickly grabbed his arm.

Good.

I may not kill him, but that didn't mean I wouldn't rearrange his pretty face for him if he threatened me again.

The Alpha kept looking between Octavia and I trying to figure us out. Finally, turning to the audience standing in the door, "Everybody out except for Mason and Ryan."

Nobody moved.

"NOW," he snapped using his Alpha tone.

Keeping my front to the people in the room, I kept my eyes on the retreating figures until the door closed. Kyle instinctively made his way to my side and I stepped in front of him. The only people left in the room were the Alpha, his Beta who was standing protectively in front of Octavia, and the other wolf Ryan, who had tried to punch me in the face.

Alpha Budur picked up his tipped over chair and sat down behind his desk. He leaned back looking between Octavia and myself, "Can we sit down or are you going to start throwing my men around again?" he looked at me with raised eyebrows serious.

Pushing Kyle forward to one of the leather seats in front of the desk, I turned my back on the others in the room as I settled into the chair next to Kyle's. Looking out of the corner of my eyes, I could see everyone else behind us in the mirror and saw Octavia who appeared flushed as she mentally argued with her mate.

Werewolves are incredibly over-protective towards their female mates, one reason I never wanted to find mine. Plus, the fact he would probably run away or try to kill me the moment he found out who I really was.

"Only if they threaten me and mine again, . . . Alpha Budur," I replied.

"You know me!" he was shocked.

That got everyone's attention.

"Not officially. I read a file on you once," making eye contact with Octavia in the mirror. She gasped everyone looking at as her eyes widened, she knew what list that file had been in.

Projecting her thoughts for only me to hear, What are you doing? You can't possibly think to tell them.

Letting Max and the others into our conversation, I informed them what had happened since we last spoke in the woods while Octavia talked. I placed my hand on Kyle's knee to stop him from bouncing his leg.

By your remaining presence here, I assumed you believed them to be trust-worthy. Am I wrong?I tilted my head to the side.

They are trust-worthy, but I know how much your secret means to the pack. I don't like being the reason you make such a decision,Octavia voice said softly.

Max joined into my conversation with Octavia. Do you believe them to pose a threat to use if they are informed of our identities?

Octavia jumped a little behind her mate,Max. Jesus Christ, that scared the crap out of me. How long have you been listening?

We've all been listening since the beginning of your conversation with Liz. I agree with Liz that if we are to stay here, we must maintain a somewhat honest relationship with this pack. If they find out later on, it could mean disaster. I ask again, Do you believe them to react badly if informed of our identities?

Meanwhile, Alpha Budur looked at me as the other werewolves in the room tensed, "What files could you have possibly read on me?"

Octavia made eye contact with me as she answered Max. They will not be pleased, but as Liz is aware Alpha Budur is brothers with Ambassador Lucian, the advocate for fair treatment towards The Order's soldiers. He will not reacted violently.

Than it is settled, said Max.

Looking Budur in the eye, I slowly spoke so, he understood the first time. "I was once assigned to capture you and your brother for interrogation."

Budur squinted at me, not moving. His eyes were roaming my face when they settled on my scar. It finally hit him, "You," he whispered eyes widening in shock.

"You . . ." looking between Kyle and I, "Your Hybrids."

The other werewolves in the room were stunned silent. Alpha Budur kept staring at me, his face shocked while his smell took on a hint of fear. The werewolf by the door started shaking; sweat was coming down his face trying to keep the change at bay. Mason growled shoving Octavia behind him; his teeth elongating into canines, eyes burning bright yellow, protecting her.

Humph. I would never hurt her.

Kyle's smell of sweat filled the room along with fear coming from the other werwolves. Kyle slumped down in his chair letting everyone's focus direct to me. The tension rose in the room, but no one acted on it.

Alpha Budur made eye contact with me, "Your Death's Hand, aren't you?"

I let my eyes take on their natural Hybrid color for a minute; pupil, iris, and sclera going black for an answer. Alpha Budur broke contact quickly looking down.

Deciding to break the tension, "What I said before was true. I, we . . my pack means you no harm."

The smell of fear died down a little. Alpha looked towards Octavia who was still hidden behind her mates giant form.

"You knew. Didn't you? What they are!"

Octavia tried pushing her mate aside, but he wouldn't budge. Finally, getting her head under his arm, "Yes Alpha. They are good people. Well, past history aside."

"Do not be angry at Octavia." I said looking at Octavia in the mirror; one eye still focused on the Alpha whose face had gotten angry, "She was protecting us. She is a very loyal person, you are lucky to have her in your pack."

He turned back to look at me and I continued, " If we were a threat, even with her loyalty to my pack, she would still turn us over to you. You have nothing to worry over her . . . Alpha," trying to ease more tension by acknowledging his authority.

The fear in the room went away, changing to curiosity. Budur sat up straighter in his seat, hands settling onto his desk; eyes questioning.

"Why are you here then?" His voice starting to fill with authority.

Leaning back in my chair, I tried to appear at ease, "We have not come to take your lands or make war. We desire a place to stay. A safe haven to start anew without our past history influencing our future lives," my eyes shifted to Kyle next to me and than back to Budur.

He looked at Kyle slumped down in his chair. He needed to understand my hidden meaning; Kyle needed to grow up in a place that is nurturing and safe.

It had to be safe.

COMMENT

And Vote!