Chapter 36: Hell

Clank. Clank

"Oww," I cried waking up by my head hitting something hard.

Blackness surrounded me, I was upside down being dragged along the ground by my ankles. Slowly I saw a little through the blackness, I was wearing a hood; however, I couldn't make anything out, but blurry edges. I stayed still pretending to be knocked out as not to arouse attention, but my muscles tensed when my head hit something else and the hands grasping my ankles clenched harder making me cry out as I felt a bone crack. Something creaked and the air smelt fouler as people's cries came from up ahead and the light became even darker. My body was stretched flat and I thought I was about to be released, but my feet kept being dragged pulling me down stairs.

"Oww," I cried tears in my eyes, my head hitting the first couple steps.

I crunched myself into a sit-up holding myself up letting my back take the brunt of the force. The stairs ended and I let myself fall back to the ground being dragged. The air down here smelled dirty, freshly washed and slightly alcoholic like a cleaning supply; the sounds of small whimpers were stopped by banging, but I could here dozens of heart beats pumping furiously and a few that beat slowly. Where the hell was I?

We stopped and a door creaked open sounding heavy followed by my body being dragged until I unceremoniously dropped onto something soft. Rough hands flipped me onto my stomach and I felt the cuffs around my wrists loosening. I raised myself a little and a hand roughly pushed me down on the middle of my back.

"Rule number 1 boy. Don't move until the guards leave your room!" a man hissed by my ear.

The hand removed and pulled off my hood; I stayed still on the ground my face pressed against the mat beneath me. It smelled slightly of soap, but couldn't hide the old sweat underneath. The door closed with a bang a dozen locks being put in place; I rolled onto my back and used my elbows to push me into a sitting position. A small amount of light came from grates on the bottom of the door. The only thing I could think it was is a food hole. The murky light highlighted the old stones of the room making the corners seem dark and creepy. Water dripped somewhere outside the room, I creped on my hands and knees towards the door and lay on my stomach looking out the grates. Peering through I got a rough look of the area around my door. There were old stone floors with dark splashes on them, I didn't want to think too much on that, across from me was another door, but it seemed different than mine. Where mine was made of thick plating and bolted a dozen times that one was just a simple prison door. Its occupant was sitting slouched down by their door hands around there knees glancing in my direction. The light in the hallway was casting their face in shadows. I stuck out my pinky to gain their attention and they scurried back like I had struck them rolling up in the corner whimpering.

Where the hell was I?

I heard a step and quickly bringing my finger back it, I barely missed it from getting crushed as a cover slammed over the grate making everything go dark. My door got kicked and my hands covered my ears trying to stop the ring from the echo on the metal. I curled into a fetal position in the middle of the room as the door was kicked a second time. Now I knew why the other prisoner had been scared. My head was pounding, the sound hurting my sensitive ears trying to cancel out the noise, but it had nowhere to go in this metal box. I stayed curled on the ground for a long time, tears in my eyes just waiting it out, it couldn't possibly go on forever, could it? Finally, it quieted down.