Chapter 31: Apology

“Wake up sleepyhead,” a cheery voice greeted me in the morning. “I know you partied hard last night, but this is ridiculous. It’s almost one in the afternoon.”

I groaned, grabbed a pillow and pulled it over my head. It was throbbing painfully, and each one felt like someone was taking a sledgehammer to my brain.

“Feels like a hangover from hell, eh? Boy do I know the feeling,” he continued, laughing loudly. It made my head hurt more.

“Shh,” I breathed pathetically from under my pillow.

“I’ve got just the thing to help you. But you’re going to need to get out from under that pillow of yours.”

I let out another groan and pulled the pillow off. Sunlight hit my closed eyes and my head hurt double time. “Sun!” I moaned, covering my face. My mattress creaked and then the floorboards did. The distinct sound of blinds being pulled shut completely was heard before he sat on my bed again.

“No more sun you little vampire,” he teased.

“Go away,” I mumbled. God I felt like shit. But why? I didn’t even drink or anything last night!

“But I’ve got relief. Look.” He said and I squinted at Lyle, seeing the two pills in his hand and the glass of water in the other. “Tylenol.” He explained. “Helps the headaches a bit.”

I sighed and took them, tossing them in before I chased them down with water. I fell back into bed again, still feeling like crap.

“So what’d you do? You look like a zombie,” he chuckled, patting my leg. “Get into trouble last night or something?”

“Why are you here?” I asked instead of replying. I was still trying to figure out all the details of last night above my pounding head.

“Well I have a break from work so I figured I’d drop by Antonio’s place see if you were there. Instead, I hear about Antonio’s boy saying something about a party last night that involved lots of screaming and terrified party goers. I asked Antonio later, and he told me to ask you. I’m assuming you caused some trouble. So what’d you do that would make me proud?”

I made a half groan half chuckle sound as I slowly pieced together last night’s events. The party. Oh the party. It certainly became fun when I arrived.

“I had a little harmless fun,” I shrugged, keeping my eyes closed since it felt better like that.

“Define harmless.”

“No one got hurt. They just got scared.” My lips twitched into a smile.

“So what happened? I’m dying to know,” he said earnestly.

I put my hand over his, squeezed it tight and thought hard. Minutes later he was cracking up laughing.

“I can’t believe you actually…” he gasped for air in between laughs, “You’re my daughter alright.”

“Is that why I feel like shit?” I asked after he had calmed down enough and stopped laughing.

“Yeah. You used too much of your powers once shot; you’re not used to it so it drained you. You’ll be back to normal in a day or two,” he assured me, “Just sleep and rest a lot. I’m sure all that chaos added with bringing the dead back just made it worse for you.”

I ran a hand through my hair and yawned, still warm and comfortable in my bed. “Is it normal that I felt so good doing it?”

There was a very long pause. I cracked my eyes open, “Lyle?” I asked nervously. “Is it normal?”