Chapter 19: Buzzing

“Fayth you better be ready today; guys are going to be falling over themselves to get to you,” Penn said, popping up behind me. He let out a piercing wolf whistle and I rolled my eyes at him as I brushed my hair out.

“Doubt it. I don’t think nice hair trumps freakiness,” I dropped the brush onto the counter and scooped up my hoodie from the counter.

“Don’t you dare put that hoodie on!” Penn said firmly, pointing at me.

I froze.

“Put the hoodie down.”

I put it down on the counter.

“Step away from the hoodie.”

I stepped back from it and stared at Penn expectantly.

“Wear something else. You’re beautiful so wear something to compliment that please,” Penn said, floating through the bathroom door. I opened it and followed him into my room with a sigh.

“You’re so annoying,” I muttered as I went through my drawers for something Penn would approve of.

“Whoa! Hold up. Take that one!” Penn said excitedly, pointing to a shirt I had in my hand. It wasn’t black; it was a grey wraparound top with long sleeves.

“Why? It’s so low cut!” I protested.

“Wear a tank top underneath,” he shrugged. “Come on, wear something new. Shock people…besides don’t you want to impress David?”

I flushed and glared at him, “Shut up. I do not. And if he’s going to like me as anything he should like me for me and not the clothes I wear.”

“Yeah, yeah. But it would help if you caught his attention…though I think you already did you might as well make sure,” he said cheerily, sitting on my dresser.

I hesitated.

“Come on,” he urged me, “Just try it. I swear you’ll look amazing.”

I sighed, searching through my drawers for a tank top. By some miracle I found one and slipped it on  before I pulled the grey top over it. I didn’t mind walking around in just a bra (yes I had pants on at least) in front of Penn. He’d caught me naked a few times already by accident; besides I’d known him forever. Plus he was a ghost. He couldn’t do anything to me even if he wanted to so I didn’t mind.

Another wolf whistle from Penn as I went into the bathroom. I admit it looked…nice. I wouldn’t give Penn the satisfaction of letting him know it looked…nice. Okay, nice was an understatement compared to my usual look.

“Alright! That’s what I’m talking about!” Penn cheered.

I checked my watch, “Shit David’s going to be here soon.” I took off, sprinting down the stairs to find Penn already down there waiting. Damn ghost. He could just appear wherever the hell he wanted too.

I peeked out the window as I grabbed a light jacket and pulled my shoes on as I saw David’s car pull up.

“Have fun, babe. I love you,” Penn said, smiling warmly.

I smiled, “Thanks Penn. I love you too.” I blew him a kiss and then left, locking the door and making sure it was locked and secure before I jogged to David’s car and got in.

“Wow,” David said, blue eyes wide as he looked at me. I closed the car door and blushed. “You look amazing.”

“Thanks,” I said, pursing my lips.

“So the trip wasn’t so bad?” he smiled as he started driving us to school.

“Lavender tried to get my hairdresser to dye my hair red behind my back.”