Chapter 17: Siren

“I don’t know why I let you drag me to this,” I said nervously as we walked onto the beach.

“Oh lighten up. You’re a teenager and you need to have a little fun once in a while,” Antonio said with a roll of his eyes. It was only early afternoon but even so it was kind of chilly so I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my hoodie. Maybe David was right. Gloves were a very good idea.

“Considering I don’t know anyone that’ll be hard,” I muttered.

“That’s the whole point. Meet new people, make friends,” he said, leading me to the crowded beach. There was a relatively large circle in the middle of all the mayhem of stones with branches, newspaper, anything dry and flammable really. I saw coolers here and there filled with drinks and food and everywhere there were teenagers, small children, adult, older people…people of all sizes, races, ages…and species.

It was strange, anyone walking past would just think it’s a big, normal, human party with lots of music and talking and laughing…but everyone here wasn’t human. Although looking at the ones swimming in the frigid ocean you would think those people weren’t human for being able to stand the cold water so easily.

As we came closer Antonio strode up ahead and started talking to some people he knew, leaving me completely alone. Oh, this was going to be a very long afternoon. I found a log and sat down, hands stuffed in my pockets while I looked around at everyone.

I saw a group of guys all talking and watching me so I quickly looked somewhere else since I didn’t really want them to come over here. But so far no one at this party was thinking anything particularly mean; I had no buzzing for once and it was definitely a relief.

“Hey,” a voice said. I turned my head and saw one of the guys from the group that had been watching me plopped down next to me.

 “Hello,” I said awkwardly. The guy looked a bit older me, I’d guess around eighteen, with thick black hair and bright green eyes. He was tall, which I could easily tell from his long, jean clad legs which he stretched out in front of him on the sand. He looked kind of built but not like those big body builders. He looked normal.

But was he really?

Seemed like today was going to be a guessing game of ‘so what are you and what can you do?’

“Are you new?” he asked.

“New?” I questioned, arching an eyebrow.

“You know...new?” he gave me an expectant look. When I only shook my head he explained. “Like you just found out about your powers or what ever now and the whole supernatural community thing.”

“No. I’ve known since I was a kid,” I said, giving him a weird look.

He grinned, “I was just wondering. None of us have seen you around before. My name is Glen.”

“And I’m Percy,” a new voice piped up on my other side. I turned to see a blonde haired guy with brown eyes sitting next to me. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, his whole right side pressing against my left side. I was thankful for once for having someone touch me, it was kind of cold and he was super warm. “Who are you, chica?”

“Fayth,” I said, shrugging his arm off uncomfortably. I may have been thankful for the warmth but there was no need for extra touching. At lunch yesterday sitting with people I’d never spoken too really was fine, David was there and hell even Lavender made me feel better because those were familiar people. I knew them. Even if I didn’t know the people I had been sitting with I knew their faces for the past few years so it wasn’t hard to adjust a bit.