Chapter 6: Easy Girl

When Monday morning came, I was scared. I didn't want to walk to school by myself; especially since it was a dark, rainy morning. Usually I enjoyed these types of mornings, but knowing there were people out there who wanted to capture me....well, let's just say I was less than thrilled to have to walk by myself.

Well, Penn would walk with me but there wasn't much a ghost could do to help if I was being kidnapped besides going to go find another necromancer, but as far as I knew there weren't any in this town, though I had met one or two that had been passing through town. There were a few ghost necromancers that I had encountered during the years as well, but they had only given me a few tips or advice before they went off to watch over family members and friends or before disappearing entirely.

I grabbed a light jacket since I knew it was going to be cold before I pulled my hood up and stepped outside.

The rain came down surprisingly softly as I made my way down the rickety porch steps with Penn disappearing every few seconds to scout the area.

I was walking down the street with Penn walking beside me, still occasionally disappearing and re-appearing. I felt like someone was watching me, and everyone once in a while I'd turn my head to look all around me, but there was no one around that I could see. I sped up my walking before I saw an old looking man turn around the corner in front of me. He had a trench coat and a hat on that covered his face.

Fear stabbed at me when I saw him clad in all black, my thoughts jumping first to every horror movie I'd ever seen then to the horrifying night of my own life.

A car suddenly pulled up beside me, driving slowly as one of the windows rolled down.

My heart jumped into my throat and I jerked my head in the direction of the car. But it was only David.

"Hey, what the hell are you doing out here?" he scowled at me.

I couldn't even work up the energy to be mad at him for showing up; I was too relieved. I stopped walking and he braked.

"Well, get in the car already," he said, shooting me an exasperated look.

I looked back down the street but the old man was gone. I swallowed hard before I jumped in the car. When I was finally settled in the passenger seat, David drove off again.

I fumbled with my seat belt since my hands were shaking so hard that David had to help me. Once I was strapped in he drove off again, not once looking in my direction the entire drive to school.

All I know is they won't go for you if David is there; he's a mortal, human. They don't want humans to know of us, not yet anyways. They can't afford to expose us. Besides, David would try to stop them from hurting or taking you.

I swallowed again. If that old man wasn't just an old man going for a nice relaxing walk in the rain and that he was actually some sort of...supernatural catcher or something then Antonio was right when he said they wouldn't go after me if David was around.

When we finally got to school, the tense atmosphere in the car was killing me. I didn't know what to say to make it better since I wasn't used to things like small talk and stuff. So I ended up sitting there in an awkward silence the entire trip.

When I got out of the car though I walked slowly so David could catch up to me without it looking like I was slowing down on purpose.

We walked beside each other, still tense and awkward before I finally broke the silence.

"Thank you," I said quietly, lifting my head to look at him.

His head jerked in my direction in surprise before his eyes narrowed at me in suspicion, "You're welcome," he said, his tone slightly uncertain but not as angry as before.