Workhood

Chapter 2:

I got into the elevator and rode it to the 23rd floor. When I got on my floor, I went to my office. Walking to my office I could hear Stacy and Emily talking about me.
            “Who does she think she is walking in here like Cleopatra?” Emily supposedly whispered to Stacy. 

” I don’t know but somebody needs to knock some sense into that black girl she’s not at all pretty” Stacy said to Emily.  Emily just nodded in agreement. 

 While walking passed them I just shook my head, and smiled. I was finally in my office when my best guy friend Alfie walked in without knocking. Alfie was the one to help me get this job.  Without him I don’t know where I would be.   

Alfie is light skinned, he has straight white teeth, and his hair is a little curly. He’s black and Indian mixed. 25% Indian and 75% black.  He wore one ear ring in his left ear, and he always smelt good.  I think he was 6”3 or 6”4. Let’s just say he was a lot taller than me.

“Hey girl, whatcha been up to?” Alfie asked me.

“Oh you know the usual “I replied paying him no attention at all.

“So I was thinking, maybe you would be willing to go to this new club with me tonight?” Alfie asked

“Uh… Alfie I don’t know, I have a lot of paper work that needs to be done.” I replied with an excuse. 

“Lies you tell I know you always finish your paper work early.”  I just laughed at him.

“Okay fine I’ll go tonight but you’re paying for the drinks.” I replied looking up from my paper work.

“You were going to come anyway Aaliyah” Alfie murmured as he walked to the door.” What was that?” I asked.

“Oh nothing, don’t worry your pretty little head.  Bye love.” Alfie said walking out my office.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was now on my way home. I just left the office, and Alfie is supposed to be picking me up at 7. It’s already 6:35.

When I made it in my home, I dropped my bag on the couch, and took off my shoes. Work was so stressful today and my feet are killing me. 

My Phone started ringing. I answered it without even looking at the caller I.D.

“Hey babe,” I could tell by the voice, that it was my mom.

“Hey mom, what’s up?” I asked.

“Oh, nothing darling, just waiting for dem grandbabies” My mother replied trying to be sly.

“Ugh, mom, when the time comes you will have grandkids okay.” I told her in an irritated voice.

 “Fine Aaliyah, but you’re not getting any younger baby” My Mom said.

“I know mom.  I have to go get ready, so I’ll call you tomorrow.” I quickly said.

“Baby, can you at least promise me to be the first of my kids to give me a grandchild? And where are you going?” My mom Andrea asked.

“Mom, I’m going out with Alfie, and I can’t promise you a thing.” I said.

“Alfie’s a nice boy. I think he’s gay though.” My mom said.

“Alright mom, I have to go. Love you bye,” I said, hanging up the phone.

After ending the call with my mother I jumped into the shower, and re-did my make up for tonight.

15 minutes later:

I was still doing my hair when someone rang my doorbell.

“Coming” I yelled.

I put down my wand hair curler, and ran to the door.  Looking through the peep hole I saw that is was Alfie.  I opened to door and let him in.

“You look sexy,” Alfie said eying me up and down. I was wearing a short white  Mac Duggal dress.

“Thanks Alfie, you look fine yourself” I replied back.

“Thanks, you ready?” Alfie asked.

“Hold on, I have to just finish curling two more pieces of hair” I replied. Alfie just groaned and walked in my house. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~5 Minutes Later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Are you ready yet” Alfie said while walking into the bathroom.

“Yea, let me just grab my purse” I said.

I turned off all my lights and headed out the door with Alfie. 

-Picture of Aaliyah on side.