Butterflies

Luna straightened out her silver three-tiered dress (with ruffles) as she looked into the mirror. She was so excited when Harry had asked her to go to Slughorn’s party, just as friends. She had never been to a party before. She almost went to the Yule Ball, but decided against it. It had nothing to do with the fact that she was basically shunned by the male population at the time, but because Luna never really cared much for dancing.

Luna had put on light make-up for the special occasion (mostly just mascara) and replaced her radish earrings for a nice pair of star earrings that she had enchanted to glow in the dark. She made a bracelet specifically for the party, made of ribbon with various charms, including a hare (her patronus), a thestral, and a mini pair of spectrespecs. 

She put more effort into her hair than normal, neatly pulling half of it back and curling the ends. It would have been far too much work to curl all of it, considering it reached past her waist. Along with her dress Luna wore black tights and silver flats.

She was no doubt ecstatic that she was going with Harry, but it wasn't really the reason she was anxious to go. She needed to sort things out, one way or another. Whether they walked away as a couple or just as friends. Of course, she prefered the first option, but she would accept whatever were to happen.

When she was satisfied with her appearance, she checked the clock. She was supposed to meet Harry in the corridor outside in fifteen minutes.

Luna picked her purse up from her bed and put in chapstick, her radish earrings, and her butterbeer-cork necklace. She still liked to have her charms with her, even if she couldn't wear them.

“Bye, Agnes.”

“Have fun, Luna,” Agnes said, without lifting her eyes from her book. Today it wasn't a textbook, but a novel for pleasure reading.

Luna also bid Evelyn and Anna a goodbye with a genuine smile, which was returned with cold stares. They were angry that she seemed unfazed by their attempts to put her down. And it sure didn't help that Harry Potter himself had asked her to go to Slughorn's party. What did she have that they didn't?

Luna thought nothing of their rudeness- she always tried to not bask in the negativity of others. Instead she smiled and exited.

“Sorry I'm late, Luna. Where you, uh, waiting long?” Harry said to Luna. he had arrived five minutes later than he was supposed to.

“Oh, no, I was occupied. I was just counting the the number of stones in the floor. I'm up to fifty-eight.”

“Oh.” Harry lead Luna towards the room that the party was going to be held in, which was on the other side of the castle.

“I've never been in this part of the castle, not while being awake, at least.” Luna commented while they were in a lesser-known corridor. “I sleepwalk, you see.”

“We’re here,” Harry announced, and the butterflies that had been settled at the bottom of her stomach suddenly sprung to life.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Soooo I promised to update today, and I did! I was planning on making it waaaay longer, but I have a pounding headache and vertigo, so it needed to be cut short :(. Dedicated to Frozenpaw because her support is uncanny and she has an awesome Nuna fanfiction that you should check out! 

Until next time :) xxx