Chapter 4: more like a nightmare

Chapter 4: More like a nightmare.

                I screamed out in the middle of the night. I could hardly breathe. My nightmares still haunted me no matter what I did. The tour bus squeaked along the empty road in the dark. Just a few more days…. Then Owatonna… then I had to do something. Maybe Selena had been right. Maybe I did need medical help. Maybe I was so messed up that I couldn’t function right with normal people. Adam poked his head into the little space and sat down next to me on the bed. My face was turning a shade of red.

                “Brielle!” Adam exclaimed his eyes full of concern. “Brielle are you ok? Breathe. Just relax and breathe. I’m here.”

                Adam put his hands on my shoulders. I gasped for breath a few more times, still not able to calm myself down.  Adam looked into my eyes. His brown eyes soft, warm, and caring; I took a few deep breathes, allowing my heart rate to return to normal. Tears were still streaming down my face.

                “Hey, is everything alright?” David asked poking his head in too. “Brielle are you alright.”

                “She’ll be alright I got it. You can go back to sleep David.” Adam responded softly as he wrapped his arms tightly around me.

                “Alright Breanne!! Jasper!!! She’s ok!!Adam doesn’t need our help!” David called as he went back to his bed. “He’s ordered you all back to sleep,”

                Adam just held me tightly as the bus fell back into silence.

                “Adam I’m causing you problems aren’t I?” I whispered shakily.

                “Nonsense, you know what this is?” Adam asked softly.

                “What?” I mumbled looking up at him.

                “This is a miracle. It’s a miracle that I found you again. That you’re here with me now.” Adam whispered sweetly.

                “Really?  You don’t think I need to be put in a hospital? Or need mental help?” I questioned embarrassedly.

                “Brielle. Are you kidding me? I just got you back. I can’t even stand the thought of sending you away again.” Adam responded sincerely. “Brielle, the day that you disappeared I spent all day outside of your house waiting for you to come back. I didn’t want to believe that you were really gone.”

                “I couldn’t take the pain,” I mumbled in response.

                “You never had to bear it alone. You’ve always had me and you always will.” Adam wrapped his arms tighter around me.

                I cuddled into him.

                “Pinky promise?” I sniffled softly.

                “Of course,” Adam grinned as he locked his pinky with mine.

                “Hey Adam? Can you sing to me.” I asked in the silence of the night.

                “Of course I’d love to in fact,” Adam smiled sweetly as he started singing.  “If you’re the bird whenever we pretend it’s summer then I’m the worm. I know the part is such bummer but fair is fair. If my segments get separated I’ll scream and you’ll be there.”

                Adam continued to sing ever so softly, his voice sweet and comforting. I felt safe in his arms, and eventually feel back to sleep.

                “Adam!!!” David  yelled “Wake up!”

                I opened my eyes to find myself still in Adam’s arms. Adam stirred. Daniel poked his head in.

                “Dude. Selena’s been calling me, Breanne like crazy for the past hour saying that you and her had a breakfast date planned and you never showed up. “She’s really mad.”

                “Dang it! I forgot” Adam mumbled as he got up and went into the bathroom.

                He came out fully dressed and ready to go although he still looked completely exhausted.

                “Hey Breanne can I ask you a favor? Pretty please?” Adam pouted adorably as I got up from the bed.

                “What is it?” Breanne sighed although a smile lit her face.

                “Can you take Brielle shopping? I’ll give you the money. She can’t wear my hoodie for the rest of her life.” Adam replied.

                “Absolutely! Sounds fun.”  Breanne smiled at me.

                I started to protest.

                “No, no, no. I can and will do this for you Brielle. You’re my best friend. “Adam responded sternly as he wrapped me in a big hug. “I’ll see you at the show tonight. Have fun.”

                With that he was gone and I was forced to go to the mall although I’d rather sit here all day. Breanne helped me pick out some cute clothes.

                “Want something to eat? “ Breanne asked me after we had finished.

                I just shook my head.

                “Brielle you really should eat.” Breanne reprimanded me.

                “What’s the deal with Selena? Is she nice? Is she good for Adam? I mean she obviously doesn’t cause as many problems as me.” I changed the subject as I stared at ground twirling my golden blonde curls.

                “Brielle, you do not cause problems for anyone and as for Selena you’ll meet her tonight.” Breanne answered honestly. “Now you’re going to get something to eat with me whether you like it or not.”