XIII. Sanctuary

XIII. Sanctuary

            I had to give Nikita credit; she knew how to hush suspicion. The next morning, you would have never known she had just threatened me to stay away from Legolas, not unless you listened in on the conversation last night. Though she looked calm, she shot me a nasty look every chance she got. She would never stop.

Unfortunately for her, I would not either. I would not stop my friendship with Legolas because of her. Jealous or not, Nikita needed to accept the fact that he could be friends with other Elves.

            With Legolas taking the lead, we continued our journey to Greenwood. Whatever was sneaking around last night hung around in the back of my mind. Had it been a Giant Spider, or had a scout tracked us into here? What if it was nothing at all and the forest was simply playing tricks on my ears? But Legolas heard it too; I am not insane for hearing it. My paranoia kept me away from feeling flustered with Nikita.

            I refocused my thoughts to Greenwood. I had not been to many places, let alone lingered anywhere for a long period of time. I wanted to remain in Greenwood for some time, just not for forever. I still had one task left, but it was on hold until my current situation was dealt with.

            Just when I thought we would have to spend another night in this mending forest, our eyes were met with the refreshing sight of a stone bridge. From what I could see, the closed doors on the other side of the bridge were guarded by two Elves. My heart sprinted in my ribcage. This is really it, we are here.

            We crossed the bridge slowly. I looked down to see rather harsh running water below. I picked my eyes back up, feeling a bit ill. Do not do that again, I chastised myself. Once Legolas halted the mare, he conversed with the guards in Elvish. I frowned, feeling left out due to my lack of knowledge of my language. I waited in awkward silence as the conversation went on. During this time, Nikita did not hesitate to remind me of her threat with yet another burning gaze. I rolled my eyes. Did I have to repeat to her that her threats were infinitesimal compared to what I had dealt with before her?

            Once we were granted access inside, Nikita turned around and put on her friendly disposition. I tucked away my anger and instead felt nervous with the guards’ gazes on me. Once inside, the doors were shut.

            There were new smells in here compared to the forest. These scents were more homely. The inside I could say just as much, there were warm colors and lights. What a lovely interior.

            A few Elves, male and female, surrounded us. Since I could not understand what they meant, I just followed Legolas’ and Nikita’s leads as they dismounted from the mare. I slid off of Thalias. The females were gawking over Nikita and I, and I swore one or two shot us dark looks. I was sure Nikita loved the attention even if it was negative.

            Legolas briefly spoke to them, and I assumed they were to tend to the horses, because I was pulled away from Thalias. I looked over at him once worriedly before refocusing.

            “Where are we going?” I asked.

            “We are meeting his father,” Nikita said as though it was obvious. I snorted quietly to myself. “I hope you are up for it, Nimalia. From what I have heard, he can be a very judging man. It would be wise to not look cowardly before him.”

            “What is he, a member of the guard here?” I scoffed.

            “No, he is actually the King of Greenwood.”