filled with blue

Peter watched his fellow Wolfstar-shipping friends continue to argue and rant, as they had done for the last half an hour or so.

"It's been over three weeks!"

"They love each other!"

"They aren't even talking anymore!"

"I've found both of them crying in the bathroom more than once - "

"Remus literally looks like he's dying!"

"So does Sirius - "

"THOSE TWO FUCKERS ARE GONNA FUCKING DIE!"

"We know, James!" And so it went on.

Peter sighed, rubbing his temples. This was getting nowhere. If they would just calm down -

"Oi, Pete, don't you agree?"

"Ey? What?"

Dorcas let out a strangled scream. Marlene, who had been sitting on her lap, immediately jumped off and groaned into the carpet.

"And I really do believe," said Alice for the hundredth time, "That they genuinely love each other - "

"But they aren't doing anything!" Lily yelled.

"THEY ARE GONNA - "

"Please, for the love of God, shut up!" Peter muttered into his hands. No one heard him, of course.

But they weren't wrong. Remus and Sirius were no longer talking. And the funny thing was that they didn't seem angry.

Peter could see that they were hurting. A sort of bone-deep hurt that was making their backs droop and dulling their eyes.

"Peter?"

He shook himself. "Yes?"

"Are you okay?" Lily asked, her voice softer now. In fact, everyone had quietened down. Finally.

Smiling, he nodded. "Just thinking."

"What about?" James asked, coming to sit beside him.

"They need to be left alone."

The other stared at him. "But, Pete - "

"No, Marls," Peter interrupted. "They're a mess right now. If we try to interfere, they'll only try to curl up further away from us. And each other."

A pause, where everyone glanced at each other. Then James chuckled, putting an arm around Peter's shoulder. "Maybe you're right."

"Gay."

"You know it."

"So, we're just gonna leave them alone?" Alice asked, blinking her big eyes. Dorcas ruffled her hair.

"Not everyone's relationships are as perfect as yours, Al."

Blushing, Alice tried to change the subject. It didn't work, though.

"In the words of Remus Lupin," Lily giggled, "Have you 'done the deed' yet?"

"Lily - !"

A very different argument broke out, but this time, Peter joined in, heart lighter. Oh, and poor Alice.

***

James was lying on the sofa, Lily sitting on the floor by his head. The common room was empty now - it was quite late at night.

From where James was, he had the perfect view of Lily's profile. Her eyes were a clear, beautiful green, focused on the canvas in front of her. Her hands worked quickly, the scratch of a pencil against rough paper clumsy and wonderfully warm, making him smile.