hysterical

Sirius trudged through the hallway to his dorm, relieved that he had managed to cut the date short.

Shahid was cute, there was no denying that. But he was constantly complaining about everything. It wasn't like Sirius wanted to be a part of the Black family. That was just his genetic misfortune. Honestly.

He didn't know why he'd accepted to meet up. Sirius wanted to push his feelings for Remus away, before they devoured him entirely.

Because Remus would never feel the same way - that was impossible. So Sirius had to move on. He just wished other people didn't seem so dull in comparison.

Grumbling silently, he pushed open the door that was inconveniently in between him and his room, wanting to forget his date and have a shower. Maybe even go to sleep. He was fed up with today.

He would have done so, too, if Remus hadn't fallen promptly into his arms.

"Siri! You're back!" The taller boy grinned lopsidedly, his words clumsy and cheerful.

Stumbling slightly, Sirius hooked his hands under Remus' arms, trying to push him upright. He tried to ignore how close they were. He was not going to think about that.

"What's going on?"

Remus simply smiled, eyes over-bright as he swayed where he stood.

"Remus - ?" But then he noticed.

Sirius blinked at the empty bottles on the floor. They blinked back at him.

"Moony?"

"Yeah?"

"Why are you drinking?"

Remus shrugged, stumbling over to James' trunk and pulling out another bottle. "Cos I can."

Walking over, Sirius took the drink from his friend's hands. "No you can't."

Remus took it back. "Yes I can."

"No, you can't."

"Yes, I can."

"Look, we could fight about this, but we could also not fight this." Sirius pulled the bottle firmly away from the drunk boy, placed it back into James' trunk and turned to Remus, crossing his arms. "Now, why are you drinking?"

Sighing, Remus flopped backwards onto his bed, staring soulfully at the ceiling. "Cos I can."

Jesus Christ, thought Sirius. He decided to leave it for the minute - Remus didn't feel like sharing, and Sirius didn't want to push. 

Sitting down beside him, Sirius watched his friend with soft eyes, counting the freckles scattered across his face. Like seeds, he remembered. How true that was.

Remus, completely unaware of Sirius' gaze, continued to study the ceiling, as though it could tell him the secrets of the universe. He didn't move when Sirius laid down beside him, his dark hair brushing against the other's neck.

It was a soft sort of silence. As though silence had decided to take a nap, right there beside them. It must be quite difficult being silence. No one really listens to you.

"I was tired." Remus' voice wavered a little, an obscure reluctance in his words.

Sirius turned to look at him. "Tired of what?"

He snorted. "Everything. But mostly myself."

Sitting up, the dark-haired boy waited for him to continue. He didn't have to wait for very long.