watching him

Sirius wanted to say something.

James could see him now, lying beside him on his back, on James' bed, chewing his lips and tapping the headboard. A skittish hand would rake through dark hair every now and then, and his toes kept shifting randomly.

Basically, Sirius was a bundle of nerves and James was very close to asking him what the fuck was wrong.

"So." Sirius cleared his throat. "S-so, Prongs, my friend, have your attempts to woo the f-fine Lily Evans finally worked?"

Trying to distract me. James' lip curled. As if that would work.

"Unfortunately not, dear Pads." James sighed dramatically, lying down as well. "But eventually, she will realise I love her very much and want to spend my life with her."

"Eventually." Sirius sounded more confident than sceptical, which was a nice change from first year.

James could remember it very clearly.

***

"My friends! I have something important to say!" James announced in the dorm.

He looked around at his new friends. Sirius, who was looking expectantly at him and brushing his (admittedly rather nice) long black hair. Remus, who raised an eyebrow at him over his book. Peter, who had paused in scribbling down something for homework and was watching him carefully.

James cleared his throat. "It may surprise you, but I, James Angelica Potter, am - " he threw his arms out " - in love!"

"Congratulations mate!" said Sirius, jumping up and hugging James.

"With who?" asked Peter.

"Your name isn't Angelica," muttered Remus, eyebrows pulling together.

James continued. "Yes, I, your bestest friend in the whole world, am in love."

"With who?"

He puffed out his chest. "Lily Evans."

There was a shocked silence.

Sirius suddenly broke it by letting out a loud bark of laughter. He collapsed on his bed, cackling into his pillow. James looked at him, affronted.

"Why are you laughing?"

"She hates you, mate!" said Peter, giggling.

James crossed his arms defiantly. "Well, she won't eventually."

Remus snickered. "Keep telling yourself that."

Huffing, James walked over to his bed and got in.

"She'll love me one day, mark my words."

***

"James?"

The distracted boy shook himself out of his memories. "Yeah?"

Sirius sat up, fiddling with his hair anxiously. "I... I want to tell you something."

James straightened a little. "Yeah?"