Slughorn

I woke up again to the sound of footsteps , this time desperately praying that it was not Riddle again. My prayers were answered. Professor Horace Slughorn walked in and beamed at me though I was less than pleased to see him. I fail to understand how someone could be so partial to people just because of good grades and charm and how gullible you had to be to explain dark arts to a student.

Honestly?

However these thoughts didn't show on my face as I smiled back at him , watching him sit beside my bed on the chair. Settling himself comfortably he looked at me and grinned yet again.

"Miss (Y/N)(L/N) is it not? Welcome to Slytherin! It's nothing short of a glorious house where ambitious minds with just the right amount of cunningness come together and strive to achieve greatness in their own way. I am Professor Horace Slughorn, the head of Slytherin, your house. I apologise for not coming sooner ...a certain potion of mine required strict invigilation. However Tom has told me about you and he believes that you will make us Slytherins proud despite being a muggleborn. Muggleborn ,eh? Not scaring you, but choose your friends wisely. Our students are a little sensitive about blood purity. If you have any problems or questions, feel free to talk to me about them. Alright?"

I nodded slowly. Awfully chatty , ain't he? A little sensitive  he says. I could laugh, his house is known for being vicious to muggleborns. A little put off by a certain point, I asked " Mr Riddle said that I would make Slytherin proud?".

Slughorn nodded vigorously before leaning slightly towards me and whispered excitedly

" Brilliant boy he is! What perfection! What a bright mind and sharp accuracy! You can consider asking him to be you tutor to brief you on certain things! There has never been a question that he did not know the answer to! If only, if only he wasn't an orphan, poor boy. "

"What's being an orphan got to do with anything?" I asked annoyed at his tone. Say it! Admit that it's all about blood again! Merlin , even vampires are not so obsessed about blood.

But Slughorn seemed be in his own world , muttering to himself.

He broke out of it only when a smooth voice cut in " You called me Professor?"

I had been so preoccupied with observing Slughorn that I hardly noticed future Voldy walk in.

"Aah yes Tom m'boy, come ,come, we were just talking about you! Have you met miss (L/N)?"

"No sir , I am afraid I didn't get the chance."

I gaped at him lying so smoothly. Really? You didn't get the chance to? Then who gallivanted into the infirmary in the middle of the night? Freakin liar...

Tom seemed to sense my annoyance and gave me and amused and challenging glance . Like he knew that I wouldn't give him away. Boy was he wrong.

"Oh? Well then you must have a ghost twin because I am pretty sure I spoke to you last night. And before you suggest, I was not sleepy and have no history of delusions" I said with a smirk to match his.

He seemed pretty unperturbed but you could sense the gears turning in his head." Well I would not count that as 'meeting' ,more like a chance encounter during my prefect rounds . We've hardly been introduced properly. Wouldn't you agree Professor?"

Slughorn nodded eagerly , agreeing with almost every word coming out of Tom's mouth. I cringed at his admiring gaze on Tom. Honestly, what does he find so admirable in Riddle? Well except for the cheek bones.... and the jawline...and the hair- Wait what?
Did I just?...

Darn it.

I face palmed and glanced up only to meet the questioning gaze of Slughorn and Riddle. I laughed sheepishly " Er.. I thought of something stupid. Sorry."

Slughorn waved it off and motioned towards Riddle.
"This is Tom Riddle , the Prefect of Slytherin. He is now in his fifth year and is the top student of his grade. If you have a query but find me engaged, you might as well ask him. He will not disappoint you. Right Tom?"

"Yes Professor ."

You forgot "Speaker of Parseltongue", "Heir of Slytherin" and future "Voldy",
- no no- I mean "Voldemort".

Slughorn turned back to me  and smiled apologetically" Now you tell us about yourself to us since even I don't know a lot about you."

I cleared my throat awkwardly " Uh...My name is (Y/N) (L/N). I..am a muggleborn. My parents were killed by Grindelwald a few days back. That's about it."

Tom looked disappointed with the introduction but Slughorn nodded sympathetically.

"What is your wand type?"asked Slughorn.

"I do not have one."

"By Salazaar! Then we need to buy you one immediately! You will be up and out of the bed by tomorrow right? You both will then leave for Diagon Alley and buy all your books and wand and other supplies."

" 'both' as in?"

"Why you and Tom of course!!"

I choked on my own saliva but before I could respond another voice cut in.

"That won't be necessary Horace."

I looked the door to find Dumbledore walking in and towards us. I relaxed slightly from my tense mood due to his presence. He smiled at me and for once I smiled genuinely back.
He then looked towards Slughorn once again " I believe she needs an adult to accompany her to Diagon Alley and I know you're busy. Hence as a fellow Professor I can go in you stead. Tom is a student himself and not to mention, a prefect . He has a lot of work on his shoulders and I would be happy to relieve him of this one ."

The tension in the room was now worse than before.

Tom stood straight and rigid, his clenched fists behind his back his lips pursed tightly while Slughorn looked flustered and confused.

"Well Albus ,you're right but...."

"All monetary transactions have to be taken care by an adult. Unless you doubt me , in which case.."

"No no ! Of course not ! If any one then you should be going..... but surely Tom can accompany you?"

Good heavens ! Take Tom's opinion for god's sake! He can have work too!

"...if he doesn't mind, then I suppose he can come along"

With that all of us looked at Tom , who had a small smile on his lips.

" Oh I don't mind. It will be my pleasure."

Slughorn looked triumphant for some reason while Dumbledore merely nodded at him.

" So.... when can I leave to buy my stuff?"

Slughorn looked at me and frowned " Well you're not supposed to be out before tomorrow... But I can try to change that. Will you help me Albus?"

"Certainly."

And with that the two professors stepped out of the infirmary, leaving only Riddle as my company. Again.

" I'll take my leave then. I will see you when we leave for Diagon Alley. Good day." He tilted his head in greeting and then walked off.

Aah, silence at last. Now if only I had some books to rea- was that Hogwarts a History  lying there all this time? No..no it wasn't. Someone must have left it there. Slughorn wasn't really carrying anything so it must have been either Dumbledore or Riddle.

Probably Dumbledore. Yeah that sounds right. Riddle could not have done that.

Could he?