RomancePH's Romance Tips

ROMANCE AS A GENRE

Romance is a billion dollar industry, meaning that there are a lot of opportunities for writers who want to explore this genre. If you think romance writing is easy; think again. It may look simple, but it was really hard as hell.

There's a lot of things to consider first. For example, does it promote empowerment or does your prose romanticized what is harmful to your readers?

Romance plot structure goes like this: Main Romance Plot + Emotional, satisfying and optimistic ending = Romance Genre

This genre needs a main romance plot presenting the journey of the two individuals--how they fall in love and how their love is tested. It's a must that the story ends with their own happily-ever-after and providing a satisfying, emotionally-packed finale.

Without these two vital components, it's not a romance story. There is a variety of genres that have a romance element but not categorized as a romance work, such as:

Love Story - a story with a romance element but does not end happily ever after.General FictionTragedyDrama and etc.

Here's our tips for writers who wanted to write in this genre.

Be Critical.Make sure your female character have agency. She's her own person and have a say to what she really wanted.Consent is Important. (Outside this condition is considered RAPE)Read more about relationships and articles about abuse.Don't Empower The Jerks.

ON WRITING ROMANCE

Writing in general isn't an easy feat whatever genre it may be. However what are we really looking for in a romance novel?

A decent, convincing and unique plot that will leave an impact on your readers. Think of your favorite romance novel and remind yourself of what made it your favorite. A unique and well-executed plot will hook your readers into not dropping down your story. List down what makes your story different and make sure to incorporate it into your plot.Effective characters. Your characters are the main force of your story. They have to be compelling, relatable and addicting. Adding little quirks to each role helps a lot in making sure your story breathes life. Your main leads need to have natural chemistry aside from the usual undeniable attraction. This is what drives your story towards its climax and the rest of the plot.Feels, feels, feels. What makes a romance novel unique? We all know it's an undeniable sense of satisfaction and glee that one achieves by reading familiar yet swoon-worthy scenes. Most of the readers enjoy the romance genre for it provides them that movie-like experience in their very own head, and as a writer it's your obligation to weave your words into the perfect cloth that would make your readers' hearts flutter. And lastly;Connection. There's no better romance than the kind that connects with their readers even after the act of reading; the kind of story that leaves your reader needing more. More than having the above elements (see numbers 1 to 3), it's also very important to have real connection. It's a skill that requires a lot of practice and emotion--a bit of reality here and there--to make it familiar yet exciting enough for your readers. A story that connects with its readers--mind soul and body--is more than just a book, it becomes a masterpiece.