Chapter Nineteen

Walking back in the door, they were greeted by Bobby who was desperately trying to claw at Isabella's legs.

"Bobby! Down! Let her walk in the door first!" Tom said, scolding the excited pup.

Isabella knelt down in the doorway, scratching Bobby behind the ears as he eagerly licked her face. Her sigh was tranquil as she enjoyed the affection she received from him.

"It's okay, Bobby. Mommy is back," she whispered to him.

"And she's not going anywhere ever again," Tom countered.

She stood and walked into the kitchen to get herself something to drink.

Tom came up behind her, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Darling, would you like me to make you some tea? It'll soothe your nerves."

She tensed briefly at his touch, but quickly relaxed into his embrace. Tom took note of the behavior, but didn't mention it.

"Maybe after a shower. I think that's the first thing I have to do," she said with resolve, turning to face him.

"Sounds good. You do that while I call Lana. I told her I'd let her know what happened."

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, she called me earlier, worried about you. She apparently called your parents to see how you were doing and started panicking when she thought that Jackson had done something to you. She wanted to go to the apartment, guns blazing, but I told her I would follow you and wait until you were out in the open."

"So you wanted us to see you following us?"

"At that point, yes. I staked out the apartment for hours, hoping you'd come out. I was hoping you'd be alone, but I prepared for any scenario."

"Jackson thought you were careless, but little did he know, you had that planned all along," she said, in awe of his critical thinking.

"Yes, I didn't just play a spy on TV," he said with a wink.

He went to pick up his phone when she stopped him.

"Wait. Let me call her. I'm the one who started this mess."

He handed her his phone and she dialed Lana's number, tapping her foot on the ground as she waited for the phone to pick up.

"Tom? What's going on? Have you found her yet?"

"Lana... it's me," Isabella said softly.

"Oh, Jesus Christ, Isabella! I'm so happy to hear your voice!" Lana said, her voice rough with emotion.

The alarming way that Lana answered made guilt build up inside Isabella. Tears began to fill her eyes again. "I'm so sorry, Lana. I know I should've told you the truth, but I just couldn't. I tried to save you both. It was the only way."

"What do you mean, 'the only way'? What happened? Was it Jackson? I'll kill that bastard!" She said, anger seeping its way into her voice.

"Yes, it was. And I promise to explain everything. But not tonight. It's late and I'm tired. Come over for breakfast tomorrow, okay?"

"Count on it. Tell Sir Thomas he better know how to poach a damn egg! I'll bring John with me. He was worried about you too."

"Sounds great," she said, smiling at the sound of her friend's crazy tone. She thought she'd never hear that voice again.

"Oh, shit. Also, call you dad! Your parents are probably at an eleven on the Richter scale right out about now."

"Damn it. I almost forgot about them. Okay, let me go so I can call them."