Chapter Eight

The morning came all too soon, with Tom being woken by a phone call from Luke. He managed to get out of bed without waking Isabella up. Bobby followed him around the living room, clawing at his leg to be walked.

"You want to go for a walk, Bobby? Alright then, let's go," he told the puppy as he put him on his leash and led him out while talking to Luke.

"Tom, I heard what happened. How is she?"

"She's ok now, but she was pretty shaken up. I had to go in there and pull her out, they had her practically surrounded! It made me so mad - I just wish I had been there with her."

"You can't blame yourself. Who knew the media would have gone after her like that? They're usually pretty respectful in our neck of the woods. I take it you've been spending a lot of time with her?" Luke asked, already knowing the answer based on other photos he'd seen that week of the two of them out together.

"You could say that. It's been kind of a crazy few days. I can't really explain it. All I want to do is protect her from all of that."

Tom bent down, cleaning up after Bobby. Looking around to make sure he wasn't being followed by any early rising paparazzi, he continued walking Bobby, heading back to the house.

"You know you can't protect her from everything. She has to understand that dating you would include all that."

A heavy sigh escaped his lips. "Yes, yes, she knows. I just feel bad."

"Only you would feel apologetic about being a celebrity, Tom," Luke remarked. "If she truly cares about you and wants to make whatever this is work, then she'll get past this part. Just give it some time. By the way, do you think I could know her name now? I've seen her picture so much recently you'd think I'd have found that out by now."

"Oh, so sorry. It's Isabella. This is all so crazy. I feel like I'm on a runaway rail cart, zipping through a mine in the darkness. To whom does a thing like this happen?" Tom said, walking back in the door and smiling when he saw Isabella sitting on the couch cross-legged with a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Thank you. Hopefully, I will be meeting her soon? Preferably before you decide to start asking her to big events?"

"Of course. We'll set something up next week," he said, not taking his eyes off of her. "I have to go now, Luke. I'll talk to you soon." He hung up, letting Bobby off his leash.

The chocolate-colored puppy scampered up on the couch and settled on Isabella's lap, attempting to lick her hand as she held her coffee cup at arm's length.

"Good morning," she said to Tom with a giggle as she ran a hand over the puppy's coat.

He walked over and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Morning."

"You go for a run?" She asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

"No, Bobby needed to be walked. Luke called about yesterday. He wanted to make sure you were alright."

"Oh, well that's very sweet of him, isn't it Bobby?" she said to the pup as she continued to stroke his fur in a soothing manner.

Throwing his keys down on the coffee table, he sat down beside her, giving Bobby a playful rub. "How are you feeling after yesterday? I know you said you were ok, but..."

"Um, I'm still ok, I think," she started, averting her eyes from his gaze for a moment. "I'll admit I'm still a little rattled by it, but I think I'm past it. I understand that it happens and it's probably best that I pay more attention to my surroundings so I don't get bombarded like that again. At least I'm more aware now."