Chapter Seventeen

Morning came too soon and they had all sat down as a family for one last breakfast. Rosemarie had made everyone's favorites, including a proper English breakfast for Tom. Afterward, they all stood by the door hugging and saying goodbye. There were tears and tight hugs, promises of phone calls and return visits.

"It was the best time having you all here. I'm so happy to see you with a real man, Bella. Tom, you are welcome in my home anytime!" Lorenzo said, giving him a hearty handshake. "Lana, don't be a stranger, okay? I might not be your real father, but you are still one of my children."

The three of them walked out and got into their car, starting the drive back to the airport. It was quiet in the car as everyone sat back in reflection of the last few days. Isabella put on some music, humming along softly.

With Luke handling much of the travel arrangements, they encountered no issues in getting through the airport and to their seats on the plane. Luckily, it was not a busy morning and no fans or paparazzi bothered them. Settling in their seats, Isabella finally thought it was time to read the letter from her grandma.

Thomas looked over at her, putting a hand on hers for support as she read the letter out loud to him and Lana.

"Dear Chiquita, it was so nice talking with you and meeting your love. He is muy caliente! And I know he will take good care of you. I have worried about you since you left and even before. I knew how strong Jackson's hold was on you and I feared that you'd go right back to him. Perhaps you leaving was for the best because God put a man in your path that has cured you of your love for that bastardo. I finally feel at peace with the idea of leaving this world knowing that you will be protected. Please don't give up on love Chiquita. Hold onto it for all it's worth because true love doesn't happen every day. Live your life. Grow and be happy. It is the only wish I have for you. I will be looking down on you from up above, cheering you on. Never forget to be brave. I love you. Forever, Evelyn."

She dropped her hand to her lap, her body shaking from the force of her emotions. Sniffling hard, she couldn't help the flood of tears that came down. Lana reached out and wrapped her arms around her, letting her lean against her as she cried. Tom took one of her hands and held it in his own, stroking the skin in soothing circles. The captain came on the loudspeaker to announce their departure and it broke Isabella from her spell. She wiped away the tears with the back of her hand as she folded up the letter, giving it a kiss and putting it away in her carry on. Putting the armrest up between her and Tom, she leaned against him as he wrapped an arm around her, allowing her to fall asleep to the rhythmic pulse of his heartbeat against her ear.

Lana groaned as Tom pulled up to their apartment complex. "Doesn't it feel like coming home takes longer?"

"That's because there isn't anything to look forward to anymore," Isabella said. "Are you going to go home now?" She asked, looking to Tom with hopeful eyes.

"I can stay a while if you'd like," he said, putting the car in park.

"Please. We've got to do laundry anyway, just bring your dirty clothes up and we'll wash them all together."

"Eww, dirty boy clothes!" Lana teased.

Tom and Isabella laughed at her as they all got out of the car. Isabella tried to take her bag, but Tom wouldn't allow it. Between him and Lana, they got all the bags up and he still helped her walk to the elevator.

"Just put all of the laundry together and I'll take care of it," Lana said. "You should go put that foot up, missy. You've done an awful lot of walking the last couple of days," she said to Isabella who just rolled her eyes.

"Yes, mother," she said, pulling on Tom's arm to drag him into her room.

They laid in bed together, watching TV. Or rather, the TV was on, but they weren't really watching. They just laid in companionable silence. Isabella was deep in her own thoughts and had gotten quiet.