Chapter Eleven

It was mid-morning when it happened. Tom had dropped Isabella off so she could shower and gossip with Lana about their evening. She had just gotten in the shower when she heard the familiar ring tone she used for her family. At first, she ignored it. But the phone just kept ringing. Opening the shower door, she called out to Lana, thankful for once that the walls were paper thin.

"Lana! Can you come in here and answer the phone to see what my family wants now?"

"No problema!" She called back as she walked into the large bathroom and grabbed the phone off of the vanity. "Hey there!" She said with as much cheer as she could muster in the morning, but her smile turned to a frown fast when she heard the mournful sounds of Isabella's mother on the other line.

"Lana? What does she want?" Isabella said as she continued showering, unaware of Lana's dour expression.

"Isabella. You need to get out of the shower. Your mom needs to talk to you. It's important."

She peeked out from behind the curtain, confusion, and apprehension marring her face. Grabbing a towel, she got out and took the phone, walking out into the living room.

"Mama? What's the matter?" She asked, feeling a heaviness settling onto her chest.

"It's your grandmother. She passed away in the middle of the night," her mother said, her words heavy with emotion.

In that moment, time froze and the grip she held on the phone loosened as she stared ahead in shock. Her hand fell to her side as the phone slipped out and landed on the ground. Lana ran over to her, picking up the phone. Isabella's mother was frantic on the other side.

"Hey, it's Lana... No, she's not... Let me talk to her and I'll call you back... Yes, of course, we will be there as soon as possible... Ok, goodbye."

Lana hung up the phone and put it down. She looked at her friend who just stood like a zombie, eyes staring into oblivion.

"Isabella? Are you ok? Talk to me!" Lana said. She grabbed her arms and shook her to no response. If not for the fact that she could see she was breathing, she might have thought she was dead. Isabella stood stock still and dazed in front of Lana.

She furrowed her brow, growing increasingly concerned for her friend. Lana knew how important Isabella's grandma was to her. She knew when the time came that she would be devastated. She continued to call her name with no response until she started mumbling something. Leaning in, she realized that Isabella was saying "Thomas". She was calling for Tom. Thinking fast, she picked up Isabella's phone and called Tom. If he is who she wants, Lana was going to make damn sure that's who she got.
Pacing around the room, she awaited the agonizing few seconds waiting for him to pick up. Before he could even get a word out, she started explaining.

"Tom, this is Lana. You need to get over here as soon as possible. Isabella's grandma passed away and she's in shock."

"Yes, of course. I'll be right there," he said, calm, but alert to the situation.

She hung up with him and checked on Isabella.

"Tom is coming, sweetie. He'll be here in a few minutes ok?" She said, speaking loud and clear because she honestly had no idea if Isabella could even hear her. She just
kept mumbling, calling for Tom.

In record time, Tom knocked frantically on the door and Lana whipped it open, heaving a sigh of relief as he came in. He moved past her, making a beeline for Isabella, who still stood frozen like a statue in her towel.

He placed his hands on her arms, trying to look her in the eyes, but he could see she was off somewhere else.

"How long has she been like this?" He asked Lana, not taking his eyes off of Isabella.