7

A/N: One: Sorry about the wait, and Two: Please, please, please, please self-monitor during this chapter. It gets very heavy at the beginning with a torture scene and I don't want to cause anyone unnecessary anxiety. I am going to mark the beginning and the end of the scene with this symbol, ***, so if you see that, continue at your own risk. Once you see it again, it will tell you that it's fine to read again. 

When the three of them finally reached the motel, John got out of the truck and paid for a room, handing Sterling one of the keys while he took the other. "You lock that door and don't open it for anything. If, somehow, someone or something gets in, take this gun and shoot first, ask questions later." 

"How will I know when you come back?" Sterling asked, her hand tightening around Victoria's. 

Victoria wanted to tell her mom that she didn't have to worry about shooting John, that she would be dead before anyone in their family came for them, but she bit her tongue. "I'll knock once, wait three seconds, then knock twice more. Don't shoot if you hear that." John assured Sterling with a smile. 

Kneeling down, the man looked at his granddaughter with a staggering amount of love. "I'll see you soon, Darling. You be good for your mom and stay safe." 

"Okay, grandpa," Victoria mumbled, anxiety spiked in her, and her heart jumped. "I'm scared," 

"It's okay to be scared, fear makes you stronger and faster," John told his granddaughter then gave her a fond kiss on the head before running to his truck and driving away. 

Not watching him go, Sterling scooped her daughter up in her arms and practically ran to their hotel room, opening the door with shaky hands before slipping inside and locking it. She secured the handle, deadbolt, and the third lock at the top of the door before she finally set Victoria down. 

Next, Sterling set to work as she covered all the windows before looking around the room. "Mommy? What are you looking for?" Victoria asked. 

She didn't get an answer. 

Instead, Sterling plopped down on the floor in a back, obscured corner of the room where the grate to the ventilation system was and started taking the screws out, leaving one to hold the door loosely on.

Once she was done, Sterling looked over at her daughter, "Come here, Victoria, see if you can fit in here." She ordered, moving fast, knowing her time was running out. 

Victoria ran over and squeezed her little body into the grate, "I can, Mommy." She said softly. 

"I'm sorry, baby, but I'm going to have you stay in there until we are absolutely certain its save. Don't leave unless Dean, Sam, John, or I tell you its safe to come out." Victoria nodded, curling into a tight ball and ignoring the kink in her neck that was already starting to form. Sterling screwed in another screw to hold the grating up before moving the nightstand slightly in front of it. 

Then they waited. 

***

Somehow, Victoria managed to fall asleep for a little while until she heard knocking on the door. Her eyes snapped open, darkness had surrounded her, letting her know that her mom had shut off the lights at some point after she fell asleep. 

Staying absolutely still, Victoria put a hand over her mouth to stop her whimpers. 

She heard the safety of her moms gun click off. 

Then there was a bang, and all hell broke loose. The room was filled with the sound of gunfire as shoot after shoot went off, flashes of light acting like lightning in the room. The noise covered Victoria's brief, terrified yelp, and the bang as she jumped in shock from the sound.