8: Look On The Bright Side

The next morning I didn't have to fight Harry for the shower, since the others still weren't working. Uncle Dave still has to call the plumbing company about that. Harry was in his room, which made me wonder. Wouldn't he purposely try to get to the shower first to piss me off? It seems like something he would do. A classic Harry move. But he didn't. It made me curious, but I didn't question it.

Maybe he just feels bad about yesterday. Good. He should. He took things too far with the bracelet. Way too far.

After I shower I dress in shorts and a white tank top. I left my honey colored hair down in its natural waves and didn't bother with trying to look good. What's the point? I felt like crap anyways. Might as well look like it too. Besides, there’s no one to really impress here.

At breakfast it was quiet. Quieter than it usually is. The only sound was of us chewing our food and the sizzling of the stove as Aunt Liz cooked French toast. The scent of breakfast filled the kitchen. Usually, this would make me smile, but today I'm not exactly in a smiling kind of mood.

Harry didn't glance at me once. He kept his gaze fixed on his meal. At least he was refraining from being his usual jerkish self. He was probably struggling though.

"Did you call Ry yet?" Meg asks me quietly. She didn't sound exactly happy. She sounded mad at me.

"Yes. He says he'll be home by Friday," I answer shortly, stabbing my food with a fork. I didn't look at anyone. I just kept my eyes on the food I was eating. I'm sure Meg was giving me an annoyed or begging look. I'm sure the boys were all confused. I didn't care. Why should I?

I heard the clattering of a fork hitting a plate as Meg's chair slid out from the table, and she stormed upstairs. The house thumped with every step. I didn't even flinch.

"What's going on?" Louis asks, clearly confused. Aunt Liz looked after Meg worriedly. She glanced at me and the boys before turning back to her spot at the stove. I could tell she wanted to help Meg, but wasn't sure how. It would help if she knew what the problem was.

"I'm not hungry," I mumble, getting up and leaving my nearly full plate of food as I rushed outside.  I sat down on the porch steps and put my head in my hands. A few loose strands of my hair fell in my face.

I need to clear my head. Should I go? Stay? Give it another week just to make sure what I want to do? I don't know anymore. I just know that I can't handle Harry. Especially after what he did yesterday.

No. I have to leave. There's no way this summer could get any worse, and there's no way it's going to get better. I might as well save myself while I can and just go home. Home to Ryan where I can laugh, joke, and have fun without worrying about Harry and his dumb pranks and annoying comments.

The screen door to the house opened and slammed shut. I looked up and saw Harry there, giving me a weird look. "What?" I ask harshly. I wish he would disappear. Disappear from the porch. Disappear from the lake house. Disappear from my life.

"What's wrong with you and Meg? If it's some weird girly teenage drama fight then, let me know and I'll leave because I really don't care. But my cousin just left the table crying, and I want to know what's wrong with her."

"She was crying?" I ask in a softer voice. He nods. I sigh and look away from him. I felt terrible. None of this is her fault, but she still has to suffer for it. All because of Harry. Way to go. "I hope you're happy, Harry. I really do."

"What did I do now?" he asks defensively, narrowing his eyes slightly.

"Ruined my summer! That's the whole reason I'm leaving!" I yell. He looked shocked.

"Wait, you're leaving the lake? Where the hell are you planning to go?" he asks. He sounded a bit annoyed. Why is he so pissed off? Why should he even care?

"Home! Away from you! Back to Cheshire! You've taken things way too far and I'm sick of it! I'm sick of you!"

"Nat-" he says in a reasoning voice. He was cut off by the sound of a loud truck passing our house. We both stared at it as it parked in our neighbor's driveway. In Luke's driveway.

“Oh my god,” I breathe.

That truck was too familiar to ignore. Then, a boy stepped out of the back seat. A boy I would know anywhere. He was smiling at me and his sandy-blonde hair was messed up, like always. A huge smile spreads across my face, and I bolt up to him.

"Luke!" I squeal, wrapping my arms around him in a hug.

“Hey babe,” he says, kissing me on the lips.

My summer just got a hell of a lot better.

AUTHORS NOTE
im sooooososososooo sorry this chapter is extremely short D: but yea i promsie you wont have to wait long for the next one ;) opinions on Luke's return? ;D i wonder what will happen..... WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN? HM? comment please! and vote! pleaseeee vote!! im BEGGING YOU TO VOTE! thank yoo c: love you poptarts<33