Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two (Alexander)

"Vladimir, please don't hurt him."

My voice suddenly sounded smaller and more pathetic. I felt a wave of shame hit me as Vladimir stood up straight, turning a bit to look at me in surprise. His surprise slowly turned to amusement as he gestured for me to come forward. I nibbled my lower lip, hesitating, but Vladimir kept gesturing until I came up beside him. He put his arm around me, making me stiffen as he leaned against me, leaning down a bit so his cheek was touching mine.

"You're a perfect young man, Alexander," He murmured against my skin, his hand touching my throat, making me shiver, "That's why I chose you to mate with my son. Your hair is silky, your skin is warm and soft, your eyes such a unique shade of blue. You're one of the few heirs of the Court of Seven surviving today, save for Storm and Markus here. You're powerful and you don't even know it. You're just like me, and that makes me love you even more." He hugged me tightly, making me cringe and look at Mark helplessly.

He still seemed shaken from the shock of hearing about how his parents really died and just stared back at me, a thin little stream of tears falling down his cheek from one eye while the other threatened to spill over.

"Never pity the weak," Vladimir advised me calmly, brushing his knuckles against my cheek as he pulled back, then leaned down to kiss me on top of my head before stroking my hair, "It will only bring you down and that's the last thing you want if you're to marry my son."

"I think I can make my own decisions." A voice announced. My heart almost burst with joy as I whirled around, away from Vladimir to see Storm and Amber coming through the trees behind the hotel. Amber looked alarmed and kept a good ways away from Storm, who seemed completely unamused. Vladimir smiled.

"My son, so good of you to join us. I was only giving Alexander good advice. You're making my happier and happier by the minute, Storm. Not only are you getting along with your fiance, but you've brought me something very special." He added, indicating Mark, who squirmed just a bit in the man's arms, only to have the arm tighten around his throat, making him gasp. Storm's eyes glowed threateningly for a moment before he came close until he was standing in front of us.

"You've misunderstood," Storm answered calmly, "Alexander and I have made our own decisions, be they against the clan's words or not." Vladimir frowned a bit in disappointment, folding his arms over his chest.

"What'd you mean by that?" He asked, ready to listen anyway. I looked at Storm uneasily as he took a deep breath.

"Alexander and I don't want to get married." He stated. Vladimir lowered his arms, looking mildly irritated and amused, forcing a light smile.

"And just who with do you plan to create a clan of vampires only?" He pressed. I had a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach as Storm hesitated for the longest time before his eyes shifted and I knew they were locked on Mark. Vladimir blinked and snapped his head to look at Mark, who winced, before Vladimir looked at Storm again.

"You must be joking," Vladimir began coldly, making me shiver, "He's a pureblood human--"

"He's like us now," Storm informed, making Vladimir's eyes flash dangerously, "I bit him. I turned him. He's already a pureblood and by our laws, only a pureblood can marry me. Markus is a pureblood and I want to marry him." Vladimir stared at him for the longest time, then looked at me, raising an eyebrow.

"And what do you think about this?" He asked. I stiffened, feeling everyone's eyes lock on me. The pressure was almost suffocating and I almost found it impossible to speak. What was I supposed to say anyway? That I approved? Of course I did, but the topic was so touchy and dangerous. What if they killed Markus right now as a result of Storm's change in heart? Or what if he wanted to kill Amber and I because we were no longer of any use? He'd keep my parents around as they owned one of the largest hospitals in the state, keeping Vladimir's clan supplied with plenty of donor blood.