Chapter One

Chapter One (Alexander)

What I remember most about that night was the how cold it was.

The air was bitter and cold. The wind felt like blades of ice as it slapped against my face, turning my nose pink as I stood there in what felt like a desert of white snow. It wasn't soft and fluffy like it was yesterday. Now it was cold and hard, thick and hard to move in when you're only ten-years-old.

The sky was clear, not a cloud in sight and revealing a black velvet blanket decorated in sparkling silver stars that joined the large, round full moon as a witness to what was to come.

I was ten. I was supposed to be outside playing with friends, or inside enjoying the warmth of the fire, but instead, I was standing in below freezing weather, wearing a pair of over-sized boots, dress pants, my best button up shirt with a black windbreaker over top and a matching hooded shawl. My mittened hand was being held by my older sister, Amber, whose blue-gray eyes locked on the stretch of dark forest in front of us. She was silent, her blonde hair curled and falling over her shoulders.

I looked back at the trees that lay before us, the only color on a sheet of white ice.

I got another chill, but it wasn't the bitter winter weather.

It was something else.

"I'm scared." My voice was small and innocent. I looked up at Amber, who grimaced before forcing a smile.

"Don't be. He can't hurt you, Ally... It's against the laws." She looked up, her smile fading as something cut through the air. It felt sharper than a gust of winter wind as I wanted to step back, but my mother and father were behind me, watching intently as our guests arrived.

At first, they were just shadows that moved in the cold winter night, but then the first shadow revealed itself. A tall, dark, and handsome man with eyes like blades of ice came forth first as his black cloak whipped around him in the wind. It was like something straight out of a horror film, only instead of a band of evil behind him, a boy around sixteen followed.

The boy radiated power and authority, much like his father, with dark blue eyes that almost matched his black hair. He wore a black leather jacket over a matching sweatshirt and snug jeans with Harley Davidson boots that were almost as big as me.

I wanted to run away.

Why did this have to happen to me? I was ten-years-old! Wait so I could make a decision!

But no one would listen to me. I had no choice.

"Kornelius," The man greeted loudly, his breathing escaping in clouds, "It's been much too long since we've met like this. I see you decided not to bring your entire clan to us." My father stepped forward, shaking the man's hand before stooping to place a dainty kiss on his knuckles.

"Vladimir, it's been far too long. The rest of our clan paces, hoping you will accept our offer." He said, then gestured to me. I stiffened and went to take a step back, but I felt my mother's knee grind into my small back, making me step forward so I was standing in front of the boy, craning my neck to stare up at him.

"He's young," Vladimir commented, studying me as he reached out, running his long, tapered fingers through my hair, giving me chills, "That's good. His blood is still ripe and pure, however... He needs time to grow, time to fully comprehend who he shall be." My father looked a little uneasy at that.

"You will not accept him?" He asked. I suddenly felt like it was my fault. Was I not good enough for the proposal? Was I going to bring the same shame Amber had brought upon us?