Chapter Six: 006

"So, you are telling me, Max opened a ball and we just switched places?"

Eleven nodded. "But it's not that easy. I know that magic. It's one of us."

"Well, can you find them?" asked Steve.

"I need a photo."

"Maybe Hopper has one?"

---

Back at the police station Hopper was trying to figure out, what seemed so wrong with Max and Billy. Normally he would let it go, but when Eleven mentioned it earlier that day, he just couldn't get it out of his head. Billy called him Hop. He didn't even say his name to Billy. Maybe Max talked about him at home. She was good friends with Eleven and spend a lot of time in their cabin.

He tried to distract himself by looking at some reports when the phone rang.

"Hawking, police."

"Hey, Hopper, we - El, the party and I were wondering if you don't have reports about missing children. You know, children like El."

Hoper huffed. "I have some, I don't know if... HEY! You are NOT looking for them!"

"Alright, thank you, Hop."

"Mike no-"

Mike already hung up. Hopper covered his face.

"Shit."

---

That night they broke into the station. Only the Byers went home. The files were on one of the Hoppers shelves. He didn't even try to hide them.

They decided to do it right there. In a few minutes was Eleven back in.

"Wrong person."

So, they tried again. And again and again.

Max was slowly losing hope when Eleven finally found him.

---

Eleven saw a short, skinny boy. He had messy hair and cheap clothes. As she moved closer he sharply turned a looked her straight into eyes. She backed up a little.

"You can see me?" she asked quietly.

Boy nodded. "I can, Eleven."

"What have you done to my friends?"

"I helped them. When they understand each other, they can stop fighting. They can be friends."

"Why do you care?"

The boy closed his eyes. "I like them. They are interesting. I don't like fighting."

He reached to Eleven and rolled his sleeve, just to reveal the number.

006

"Where are you? We can help you!" said Eleven, excited.

"I am not ready. I can't control my powers. I wanted to show them the truth. And I did. But not the way I wanted it."

"It's okay, Six. Should I call you Six?"

The boy smiled. But it was a sad smile. "My friend called me Ethan."

"Alright, Ethan. How can I find you? Leave some traces and I'll come, I promise."

"Tell them, they have to understand. Tell them it's not easy but they have to see it, " whispered Ethan, slowly disappearing.

"Ethan! Ethan! ETHAN!"

---

Eleven kept screaming until Mike tore off the cloth from her face. She fell into his hands, sobbing. Since Eight she never saw any other ones of her kind and it hurt her to find one and lose him so abruptly. After she calmed a little, she was able to say what she found out.

"He said you have to understand. To see it, even when it's hard."

Billy frowned. "And what does that mean?"

Eleven made an unidentifiable noise. Everyone understood she had no idea.

After a moment, Billy made a decision. "Okay. Max. We are going home."

"I'll drive you."

"What?"

Steve sighed. "You can't reach the pedals and Max is tired. I'll take you."

Billy just shrugged, even though he didn't expect anything from Steve. Not after he ruined everything on that one night. It wasn't just an attack from rage. Truth was, he was angry, but he had to make Steve hate him. If they were friends, Billy might slip. And he liked Steve too much for that. Because then would Steve hate him just for existing, which is personal and Billy couldn't bear it.

Max wanted to protest, but then she changed her mind.

---

Billy sat in the front and Max passed out in the back.

Steve coughed.

"Spit it out, Harrington."

"Do you think... that you can work this out?"

"Yeah. I think we can. I mean, she is a piece of shit, but so is everyone in this family, including me, " sighed Billy.

Steve let out a laugh. "Self-conscious much?"

Billy smiled. He was strangely comfortable. "No, not really."

He suddenly felt an urge to apologize. He fought it for a moment but then gave in. "Harrington."

"Hmm?"

"I am sorry. For beating you up and putting you through this."

"Oh, been worse. But, alright, I take the apology. That plate to head hurt like hell, just so you know."

It was so relaxing for Billy, to be forgiven. He knew they weren't friends, and although he wished differently, if he was lucky, they would never become, but it made his mind much calmer.

---

Billy had to wake up Max, no matter how much he wished he could just take her over his shoulder. She sleepily walked into the house.

"Steve, thank you."

Steve bowed his head. "My pleasure."

Billy turned to the door.

"Billy, wait!"

He looked back. Steve was fidgeting, not able to raise his eyes.

"When... when all of this is over... maybe we could... I don't know... grab a beer together or something."

Billy wanted to say yes, so badly. But he couldn't.

"No. Sorry, princess, I refuse your generous offer, " Billy laughed it off, even when it caused him physical pain.

Steve shrugged, trying so hard to play it off cool. "Whatever. Your loss."

Billy knew he hurt Steve's ego and feelings. But he didn't want to desire after something he couldn't have and then burn himself.

"Goodnight, then."

"Goodnight."

Steve got into his car and left.

Billy sighed and entered the house, aiming directly into his bedroom. He found Max here.

"My bed is too small for me."

Nodding, Billy turned around and fell into Max's bed.

Yeah, this has weird pacing. Feedback's appreciated. Hope you enjoyed