Chapter Three: Mum and Dad

Tw: mentions of abuse

"Shit. That's Neil."

Max, now sitting again, looked at him, clearly panicking. "He can't find out!"

Billy quickly considered all possible come outs. For a second, he was scared, that Neil came to beat him up, for coming home late and drunk. That fear swiftly changed to another, new kind of horror, upon realization, that Max was the only one here in danger.

"Don't worry Max, I got this. Just nod."

Neil opened the door. Susan was right behind him. "What is all this noise? Max, are you alright?"

Max almost opened her mouth, but then she remembered what Billy had said. And that now she looked like Billy.

"Yes, dad. We were just talking a little. I apologize, I got a bit excited telling Billy a story from school and forgot you two still slept, " Billy said in Max's voice.

Max nodded.

Neil's eyes shone. "Alright. I am glad you two are finally friends. Let's make breakfast, Susan."

"Actually dad, we were thinking, we could go out together today. Ma- I mean Billy and I. To... celebrate, " said Billy, almost revealing the truth. "To celebrate our newfound friendship, " he added after Neil didn't respond.

Max nodded again.

Billy awkwardly tried to hug Max and look happy. Max just grinned like an idiot.

Neil smiled. Although it calmed Max, Billy felt a bit creeped out.

"Sure, I get that. Be safe, kids. Billy, can I have a word with you in privet?"

Max gulped and nervously stood up. She threw a scared look at Billy.

Billy felt paralyzed. He had to come up with something to prevent that.

"But hurry up, dad! We have to be in the mall before it fills up!" he said, probably sounding too distressed.

Fortunately, it just made Neil laugh. "Of course. Just a quick word."

Somewhere deep down Billy knew, it was inevitable for Max to find out, but now he at least saved her from getting beaten down.

Max slowly got up, trying not to whine because of still pounding head and followed Neil into the hall. Susan stayed in the room.

*in the hall*

Neil's smile suddenly disappeared. He grabbed Max by the collar of shirt Billy was wearing last night, before the switch, and pushed her into the wall.

"Now listen carefully. You better don't fuck this up."

Max felt his spit on her face.

"She says one bad word about you to me, to Susan, or to anyone, and you can only dream of playing basketball or driving that damn car."

Max nodded.

"I can't hear you, boy."

Neil wasn't speaking loudly, but Max was still terrified.

"Yes... sir."

Max tried her best not to shake.

"I have more to say, but now go. Buy Max ice cream or something. Don't spend much."

"Yes, sir."

Neil made a grimace and let her go, making his way to the kitchen.

*in Billy's room*

Susan kept smiling. Silently. Staring at Billy, thinking he was her daughter.

Billy tried his best not to look at her.

"So, you are finally getting used to this?" asked Susan out of nowhere.

Billy nodded. "Yes, Su- mom."

"Oh, Maxine. We can finally be happy, can't we?"

Billy just hummed, realizing, how blind Susan was to... everything.

"I am glad you decided to give Billy and Neil a chance. Neil had said, that Billy was giving you a hard time. Sweetie, you can't disobey Billy. He is a man and you are a girl, so his actions don't surprise me. We were born to serve men, darling, how many times do you need to hear it."

That speech caught Billy off guard. He frowned in disagreement.

"Don't frown, honey, you'll get wrinkles."

Before Billy could say something inappropriate and rude about not giving a shit, Max entered the room again.

"Okay, we can go."

Billy noticed, she was shaking a little, so he just quickly left.

---

"You are not driving. End of discussion."

"I can drive. I did it before. There was screaming Steve inside, so I think I can manage a normal ride. If cops stopped us with you behind the wheel, we 'd go straight to jail."

"Screaming-? Okay, I don't even want to know. No. If they stop us, you say you're giving me lessons. No one is this town gives a shit about the law."

Max felt ridiculous. So did Billy.

"My car, my rules," stated Billy seriously.

Max rolled her eyes and took the passenger seat.

They drove roughly a mile before two cops stopped them. Billy's excuse didn't work and they both ended up on a way to the police station.

Hope you enjoyed