Chapter Five: The Truth Comes Out

I was on a special patrol with Mosstail and Mossstar. We were going to check the burrows.

"Alright. I'm going to have a look," I meowed.

"No." Mossstar stopped me. "I will."

"But Mossstar,"

"I will die protecting my clan. I've lived a good life, if I die, I will know I died in honor." He carefully sniffed the entrance. A growl sounded. I saw teeth. "Mossstar! Look out!"

We ran towards the camp. "I....I think...we lost it..." I huffed.

"I don't think so..." Mosstail meowed. I sniffed. Fox.

"Warriors! Get out of your nests and evacuate!" Mossstar screeched.

Queens and warriors burst out with their kits, apprentices, mates, and some of them helped the wounded. "To Stunningrocks!" Mossstar added.

I raced away with the predictors on my tail. I knew that if I ran to Stunningrocks now, I'd lure them to the other cats. I ran to the river, trying to outrun them. They snapped at my tail. I was starting to tire out.

Mossstar jumped out from nowhere onto one of them. It whined and tried to shake him off. He jumped into the river.

"Mossstar!" I screeched. The foxes foolishly jumped in. They struggled to stay afloat. When they were gone, I reached out and grabbed him. "Mossstar?"

"Rabbitstorm!"

I looked behind me. A fox! As it was about to kill me, Cloudpaw jumped on it. It eventually died.

.

"Cloudpaw! I warned you!"

"You tricked me!" I meowed. "You made me believe I was saving the clan!"

"You're so gullible!" the cat hissed. He jumped on me. I wasn't ready. He sunk his teeth in my neck. I did the same. He screeched and slowly faded away.

"Cloudpaw?" Rabbitstorm meowed. "You saved me. Vinetail has always wanted to be the one to kill me."

"It was me. When I was alive, a cat had come along asking me for help. I refused because I couldn't help him. Then I saw a big striped creature come up out of nowhere. I was horrified. I knew about StarClan from a traveler. The thing killed me, and I was stuck in the dark forest. Mapleshade offered to help me. I don't remember anything else. She threatened that she would kill me if I didn't do what she said. I guess Vinetail broke that. I didn't know until the elders told me about her."

.

I glanced at Mossstar. I guess I'm the new leader, then.

"I, Rabbitstorm, future leader of LeafClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him as a warrior in your turn."

"What are you doing?" Cloudpaw mewed.

"Do you promise to uphold the warrior code?"

"I-I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan I give you your warrior name. Cloudpaw, from toys moment on you will be known as Cloudgaze. Though you have done something that has endangered this clan, you have righted that wrong. And I thank you for that."

Cloudgaze smiled. "Thank you, Rabbitstorm..."

Crookedstar appeared. I looked at Mossstar. He was fading. "What's happening to him?" I asked.

"He has lost two lives."

"What do you mean two lives? He only had one left!"

"He has lost his life for his living clan. He won't be able to join StarClan."

"Then do something!"

"I can't. It's too late."

Skystar's voice rang in my head. In the end, spend it wisely.

"But I can."

I sat next to Mossstar. I put my neck in his jaws. I braced myself. I slammed his jaws closed. I screeched in pain. I saw mine and Mossstar's life flash before my eyes. The image of a dying apprentice, Owlkit's body, a hawk, his nine lives, and my kitting. I felt it all.

When the pain ended, my vision went blurry. I felt Crookedstar's tongue on my shoulder. "Good luck, Rabbitstar." I saw him pick up Mossstar's body, which was back to normal, and Cloudgaze's, then I blacked out.