Chapter Five: Burned Away

After I finished explaining the plan, the leaves stiffened beside me. I look. It's Mintfang! She seems to want to speak.

"I smell prey. I'll be right back," I meowed.

As I followed the medicine cat, I notice her hackles are raised. "Rabbitstorm! You can't seek vengeance! Mossstar will never forgive himself! You'll be killed!" she rasped.

I stopped her. "Calm down. I'm not seeking vengeance. I have a plan to prove myself. What happened? Why did you come find me?"

Mintfang choked on her words. "Skyfern is dead! She has your fur in her claws! Mossstar is acting so dangerous! He pushes the mentors to be more harsh, refuses to allow warriors to retire, and he won't go to the Gatherings, either!"

I felt like prey. He's hunting me! I thought. "Do you trust me?"

She swallowed. Then she nodded.

.

A fire blazed through our camp. Oh, Shadowstar, I thought. Is this really what it takes?

I found kits and queens trapped in the fire. "Alright," I began. "You know what to do."

The 'StarClan' cats nodded. They climbed up the trees and jumped from one to the other, whispering and chanting, "Rabbitstorm will save you. Rabbitstorm. Rabbitstorm." The kits' eyes widened. The queens seemed to relax. There's my cue, I thought.

I jumped into the ravine. "I will help you."

After helping the queens, I ran off, and they told Mossstar. Just as I planned. I climbed up beside Mintfang. She panted, "How did you catch this many rabbits?!"

I chuckled. "You have no idea," I meowed.

We waited until the fire quelled. Luckily, we found a small burrow to hide from the rain. Once Stormpool wandered into camp to check for any embers, I whispered, "Now."

Mintfang pushed over the pile of rabbits I had spent day and night catching. It was enough to feed the whole clan for three days. Then she quickly jumped down and alerted Mossstar.

Mossstar ran to his deputy. He saw the rabbits. "It's a sign from StarClan!" Mintfang meowed. "Rabbitstorm will bring peace to our clan!"

.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here for a clan meeting!"

Mossstar had calmly led me back to Stunningrocks. He has told me to wait behind the rock so the clan would not be so surprised. "The queens tell me StarClan cats had whispered promises of protection from a cat who has been accused as a murderer. Then Rabbitstorm appeared and led them safely out of camp. When Stormpool went to check on the camp, rabbits rained down in front of her. Mintfang says it is an omen from StarClan. We were wrong to banish Rabbitstorm. Rabbitstorm will bring peace to our clan, just as the pile of fresh-kill will."

He nodded to me, and I jumped on the rock. My pelt was scorched, and my nose and ears were singed. The clan gasped. Mossstar continued. "Now is the time to honor our warriors. Stormpool, Shortfur, and Tornclaw has asked to retire to the elders." The cats stood up and nodded. "We wish them many peaceful moons of rest and fresh moss." The clan chanted their names.

"And now, it is my duty to call upon the new deputy. I say this in front of the spirits of StarClan that they may hear and approve my choice." The clan held their breaths as Mossstar continued.

"Rabbitstorm will be the new deputy of LeafClan."

The clan immediately burst out in cheers. "Rabbitstorm! Rabbitstorm!"

Mossstar waited. Then he continued. "I will speak to the other leaders at the Gathering to welcome these four cats, but it is my great honor to give them their warrior names. Cloudy, Russet, Marsh, and Moss, please join me on the rock."

The cats' eyes sparked with joy. "I, Mossstar, leader of LeafClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down upon these cats. They have done well to help my deputy return to his rightful clan, and I commend them as warriors in their turn." He eyed each cat. "Do you promise to learn and uphold the warrior code and protect your clans, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do."

"I do."

"I do."

"I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. You will now be known as Mosstail of LeafClan, Russetflame of RippleClan, Cloudflight of SunClan, and Tinymoon of PineClan. StarClan honors your cleverness and hard-working, and we welcome you as full warriors of the four sequeled clans."

The clan welcomed them. I knew they would be happy. But not as happy as I was when a blue-gray pelt knocked me off my feet, along with three tiny bodies.