Chapter One: Trust Falls

Stormpool was the new deputy. She was my mother's mentor when she was Sunpaw. She was a good organizer for the patrols, but she had never set any interest on becoming leader. She accepted the offer because she knew she would retire to the elders' den soon. Everyone thought Mossstar had only lost three lives, but he had told me he had only three lives left.

The clan was still very cautious around me. Mossstar believed my story of how Lightningstrike died, but most of the clan still thought I did it. Mossstar, Mintfang, Skyfern, Birdfeather, and all of my siblings believed me.

"Skyfern! Mintfang! They're coming!"

I jumped to my feet. My kits!

I bumped into Skyfern along the way. She was getting older, so most of her duties were passed onto Mintfang, but she still insisted on helping her apprentice. "Go grab some bark from a tree. They'll help with the pain."

When I walked into the nursery with the strip of bark in my mouth, my mate looked deeply painful. I gently meowed, "Here. Bite down on this when the pain arrives."

"Okay," she gasped.

Mintfang meowed, "I think you'd better go. This will start to-"

"No!" Birdfeather spat. "Please stay with me!" she wailed.

"They're coming!" Skyfern yelled.

The first kit slid out. I nipped the sac as Skyfern ordered. "A tom!" I rejoiced. Skyfern pushed it to its mother's belly. Two more kits came.

"Three healthy kits!" Mintfang announced. "Two toms and a she-cat!"

"They're lovely. What should I name them?" Birdfeather asked.

I looked at the kits. The she-cat had a blue-gray pelt, just like her mother. "How about we name this one Bluekit?" I blurted out, thinking of Bluestar.

Birdfeather smiled. "Yes. And I'd like to name this one Mousekit. He looks just like you."

"We'll name them whatever you like. What about this little one? He's so small." I picked him up. "What a strong kit!" I meowed through my teeth.

"How about Boulderkit?" Spinkit, another kit in the nursery, meowed.

"Yes. Boulderkit. My precious kits." Birdfeather trailed off as she fell asleep.

I licked her ear. "Rest well my love. May StarClan light your path, and our kits." I turned to my daughter and sons. "Welcome to LeafClan, my kits. One day, I know you'll make me proud." I turned and walked out into the forest to hunt.

Before I could find anything, I smelled death. Not again! I ran towards it. Wormpelt lay limp on the forest floor. I began to lick him, hoping he was still alive, when Mossstar walked up.