Chapter Three: Full of Pain

I watched longingly as the other warriors padded over to the fresh-kill pile. I had only been offered fresh-kill twice a day. They gave me the smallest, scrawniest piece in the pile. I was skinnier than ever, and my normally fluffy pelt was torn and matted.

My kits stumbled in as the warriors watched them. "Hey look, it's the prisoner!" Boulderkit mewed.

"Yeah, Fuzzpelt says we can do whatever we want with him!" Mousekit mewed. They began tugging and clawing at my back. They were only kits, but they all worked together to sink their claws into me, and they were sharp. I began gasping, but I dug my claws in the ground to keep myself from fighting them.

"Boulderkit! Mousekit! Owlkit! Stop that this instant!" Birdfeather screeched. The kits yelped and ran back to the nursery.

My mate tried to get in the den. "Is he alright!? Rabbitstorm!" The warriors blocked her.

Feeling lonely, I drifted into sleep.

.

"Rabbitstorm!"

I jumped. Another scent of death rose into the air. The warriors on guard dragged me to Mossstar's den. I screeched in pain. One of them blocked the entrance as they threw me in.

Both of the warriors talked at once. "He has killed Owlkit!"

"She was in his den!"

"There was a hole in the wall!"

Mossstar called another meeting. My guards held me down. Birdfeather screeched, "You're hurting him!" The queens quieted her.

"My clan! Rabbitstorm has killed a KIT! I have decided to send him into exile." Birdfeather still screaming, he turned to me. "What have you to say for yourself?"

I couldn't talk. I shook my head pleadingly.

"Very well. My warriors will be given the order to kill you if you are spotted." He nodded to Thornpelt and Rakefoot and returned to his den. Birdfeather was still fighting the queens.

.

I spent the night on a patch of grass. I had never felt so alone in my life.

I dreamed of Crookedstar. "You have another piece of the prophecy to fulfill. I cannot be with you at this time, but I will still be here when you need me."

The dream shifted.

I dreamed of a tall, dark-colored she-cat. She was brighter than any other cats I've seen in StarClan, yet she was partly faded. "Hello, Rabbitstorm. I have been waiting for you. My name is Shadow. Shadowstar, to be more specific. I know you hate my clan for what they have done, but they have served their punishment. Today, something will happen that has never happened before. Are you ready?" she meowed. I nodded. She touched her nose to mine. "I will give you another life. Trust me, you will need it." I felt like I had just fought one hundred battles. My entire body ached. Then it soothed. Shadowstar nodded. "Use it well."

My vision turned red as invisible hands grasped my neck like before. "Remember this well, Rabbitstorm. You must never mention our meetings to anyone!"