Chapter Five

Korra's POV
The moment Asami stepped inside the bleak, eerily blank space that they called a hospital room, I knew something was wrong. Apart from the steady beeps coming from the monitor placed directly beside me, and the soft humming of the air-conditioning above my head, I could hear Asami's hesitant steps towards me.

She smiled at me as soon as she came in, but it wasn't directed to me. It was as if the action was done for herself. A gesture that would overshadow her thoughts and true feelings.

She approached towards me with heavy steps, her head kept to the ground, only looking up in the slightest. She approached the bed, then stopped at an arm's length away.

"Asami?" She kept her head down, pondering.

"What happened?" I asked, struggling to see a glimpse of her eyes.

"He never cared for me." She whispered so low, I almost didn't hear it. "He never cared about what I thought. What I felt." She paused and lifted her head.

There she was. The Asami that was vulnerable. The Asami I hadn't seen since she left.

When I arrived for the first time at Asami's front door, and after the constant harassment I subjected her family's servant to, I got my hands on a written note with Asami's address in New York. When I arrived just outside her door, I felt nervous. I wasn't sure if the Asami I fell in love with was still there. I wasn't sure if she'd welcome me with open arms or throw me out in fear of her father. But I was determined to see her.
So I knocked. And it was her. She was in all her glory, the Asami that I love.

But she was also another version of herself. The version I didn't see for almost five years.

She lifted her head and I saw her eyes. They were puffy. They were red. But they also held a steely resolve that most people would fail to comprehend. They held a certain resolution. A secret promise made to herself alone.

I recognised that look. I saw it for the second time in Asami, the other version of her. But I saw that look every time I looked in the mirror.

"Asami," I reached out my hand. "Come here."

She stared at my hand for a moment. Then her features relaxed. Like she had found her breath the moment her hand touched mine.

She sat on the side of the bed, then nuzzled her head on the nook of my neck. I wrapped my arms around her, placing my right hand on the back of her head, twirling her silky hair around my fingers. She lifted her head and I planted a small, delicate peck of her lips, the lingering taste of her tears on my lips.

We stayed like that for what felt like a lifetime in the comfortable and soothing silence, our bodies close to each other. We had no idea, where our lives were leading or if we would be together in the end. What we had was now, and I'd rather die than lose her.

~~~~

"Korra, are you alright?" Theo, the head dolphin trainer at the aquarium, looked asked as he inspected the dolphins. He probably notices my uncharacteristic silence.

"Yeah, sort of," I said briefly. There wasn't a lot of people I could trust in New York to tell them anything about me, apart from Asami. Even my parents didn't know the full extent of the reasons why Asami left so suddenly. It was too much of a risk and I knew what Mr Sato was capable of.

As soon as we finished inspecting the dolphins, I headed towards the staff room to change and go home. When I finished freshening up, my phone vibrated inside my pocket.

"Korra!" my mother exclaimed on the other line. I was surprised at how relieved she sounded, but then I remembered the last time I talked to her.

"Oh mom, I'm sorry I didn't call you sooner." She sobbed softly.