Chapter 23 - Hold On

Chapter Twenty Three - Hold On

Sabrina sat down in class, setting her book bag on the floor and pulling out her laptop. Leila groaned as she sat down next to her and looked around. It was the first day of the new semester and Leila and Sabrina were taking the same Biology class together.

"Oh, wow." Leila sighed, nudging Sabrina and nodding at a group of girls seated across from them. "Hiba's in this class. Great."

Sabrina pretended to study her nails while she surveyed the room. She bit back a groan and she saw that Hiba and her clique of under dressed followers were indeed sitting across from them and doing a poor job in keeping their voices down as they discussed boys and fashion. At that moment, Hiba looked up and locked eyes with Sabrina. Her mouth widened into a sneer.

Even though there was at least twenty students and a good distance of approximately ten feet between them, Sabrina could almost hear Hiba as she whispered something to some girl with way too much eye liner on.

"I knew Khalid and Sabrina wouldn't work out."

* * *

It'd been two months since that day Sabrina woke up in the hospital, with her head pounding as if she'd cracked her skull open. Then again, she almost had. She could remember all the way back to the night she was kidnapped but after she hit her head...it was all a blur. But waking up and seeing Khalid...she knew it would be different now. That his history was out in the open and that he'd blame himself for getting her into the whole mess. But she told him to wait. Because something had changed.

He did have it in him to put Allah first. She saw that in his ability to stop self harming. She saw that in his determination to change - even though he doubted, even though he could never really take that step. He just needed someone to be there and see it through.

She would be that person.

But right now, their parents were fuming. Hers were enraged at being so deceived and were even blaming her for not telling them about his gang history before. She took their anger as she deserved it - she should have been truthful in the first place anyway. Sabrina had settled upon waiting for them to calm down and see Khalid wasn't who used to be before approaching a subtle method to make them aware that she still wanted to marry him. Right now, however, it seemed pretty far off.

Of course, gossip from people like Hiba wasn't helping.

"Hey, Sabrina." Hiba called as the class ended and people shuffled out of the room. "I heard Khalid dumped you."

"Don't get to excited, it only been postponed." Sabrina said stiffly. Well, its sorta postponed..

Hiba raised a brow and looked positively disappointed. She smirked. "Why? Is he doubting his decision to marry you?"

Leila snorted. "Oh, shut up. If you're hoping he'll come back to you, you can forget it. People have standards."

"Uhm, why is the fugly, drag queen talking to me?" Hiba asked in an obnoxiously loud voice. Her friends giggled and snorted behind her.

"Excuse you, I ain't no mirror." Leila snorted.

Sabrina bit her lip to keep from bursting into laughter. Even Hiba's friends had to guiltily hide their amusement.

"Oh, wow." Hiba drawled, sarcastically. "Go cry over your dead mommy."

Sabrina flinched and her mouth opened in shock and anger. Before she could do anything however, Leila sighed dramatically.

"At least mine raised me not to bitch over a boy who doesn't even want me."

Hiba looked taken aback but quickly narrowed her eyes and sent a glare at Sabrina. "Oh, he'll want me back, don't you worry."