Chapter 7 - The Decision

Chapter Seven - The Decision

"I still cant believe I didn't notice him from History class!" Emaan cried for the third time. 

Sabrina and Emaan went back to school after Jumah prayer, all the while discussing Jamaal and his cute little brother who accidentally launched a kufi at Emaan's face. Oh, and the fact that Emaan didn't recognize him from her History class back in New Hope. The two girls exited the University with their book bags in tow. Sabrina sighed and turned to Emaan.

"Emaan." She sighed. "You were late to school, right? If I remember correctly, you came a few days later. So the class had already gotten to introducing themselves to one another. It makes sense if you didn't see him if you missed that!" 

Emaan nodded, though she looked slightly unconvinced. "Its still embarrassing though!"

As Sabrina got into her car and unlocked the doors, she sat there quietly for a moment, tuning out Emaan's rant on how embarrassed she was about the whole situation. Sabrina had her mind elsewhere, on a particularly sensitive subject: Leila's mother. She'd promised Leila, who had taken the day off to be by her mothers side, that she would visit them after school. 

"Hey," Emaan said softly, placing a hand on Sabrina's shoulder. "It'll be alright, in'sha'Allah."

Sabrina gave a small nod and started the car. As she drove to Blue Bells Hospital, she couldn't help thinking of what Leila had said to her when she found out about her mother's condition. She swallowed back tears as she thought of her best friends words.

"They're saying she has weeks left to live. That's what's wrong. Everything is wrong."

* * *

When they arrived at the Hospital, they nervously walked through the shiny white halls and Sabrina was once again, reminded of the distaste she felt towards all hospitals in general. At the front desk they got the room number and took the elevator up to the fourth floor. Leila's mother, as it turned out, was not lying in the hospital bed as Sabrina had assumed so.

She was praying.

Leila jumped up at the sight of the two girls and ran over, crushing Sabrina into a tight hug.

"Asalaamu'alaikum." Sabrina whispered, staring over her shoulder at Leila's mother. Aunt Halima is praying, she thought. 

"Walaikum'asalaam." Leila replied and turned to Emaan.

While they awkwardly exchanged small talk, Sabrina turned to her best friend. Leila's eyes were red and her hijab was a mess. She was wearing no make up for once, and Sabrina could see how pale she was, the chalky paleness of one who stayed up all night, probably crying their eyes out. Sabrina's throat tightened at the thought.

"How's..your mom?" She asked hesitantly.

Leila fell silent and looked back at her mother who was bent over in prayer. She stared at her for a few minutes, blinked and turned back to Sabrina with dry eyes. 

"Malignant tumour. They said they'll see if they can get rid of it with surgery and chemotherapy but they hinted that its...unlikely." Leila explained, her face so focused on not showing any emotion that she looked like she was made of marble.

"In'sha'Allah it'll work." Sabrina said firmly and then turned to Aunt Halima, who was still praying. "Subhan'Allah." She said softly. 

Leila heard her and chuckled dryly. "I know. She's dying of brain cancer and yet she still prays." 

Sabrina turned to find a bitter smile on Leila's face. "That's...good, though."