Chapter 5 - Don't Break

Chapter Five - Don't Break

Sabrina grinned as she stepped through the door, her happiness swimming inside her and making her feel all warm and content. She shrugged out of her sweater and was about to step into the kitchen and tell her mother the good news when her parents appeared before her with raised eyebrows.

"Assalamu'alaikum." They greeted, eyeing her.

"Walaikum'assalaam." Sabrina replied, biting her lip to contain her joy.

"So...?"

"I did it!" Sabrina announced. "I got the job!" 

Her parents beamed and hugged her. Sabrina had been trying in vain to get a job for half a year now and when she'd been called in to be interviewed, she'd nearly cried in joy. She'd been extremely nervous about the interview but it had went quite well, except for the part where her male interviewer had tried to shake her hand and and she awkwardly refused, placing it on her chest and stating that she was not allowed to shake hands in her religion with men. 

The interviewer guy (Sabrina couldn't quite catch his name because she was too busy being embarrassed over the whole hand shaking situation) had taken it quite well, and even looked slightly guilty as if he should have known better. The rest of the interview went by smoothly and when it was announced that she had got the job, Sabrina had rushed home on cloud nine.

"Can I invite Emaan and Leila over to celebrate? She asked her mother.

"Of course, baita." Her mother answered. "Make sure its alright with there parents first."

* * *

"So, like, can we get free stuff cause we're like your mega awesome best-est friends in the whole world?" Leila asked, with a perfect poker face.

Sabrina laughed. The three girls were seated around the kitchen table, discussing her job. They'd squealed in joy over the phone when Sabrina had informed them and, half an hour later, had jumped on her when she'd opened the door to let them in. Sabrina thought herself the luckiest girl in the world to have such supportive friends.

"I guess I could pull some strings...but it's unlikely that you'll get it for free. Maybe half off." Sabrina said, shaking her head in amusement.

"Well, I'm happy for you." Emaan chirped. "Now you can save up for that car you wanted."

Sabrina smiled. The best part about having a job was that she could make her own money. She would never have to look guiltily at her parents for wanting to buy something ever again. She was eighteen now. It was slightly embarrassing that her parents had to buy her everything she needed, well, until now.

"Plus, Winners is in Kingsgate Mall, which is convenient because well, that's where we always shop." 

"True." Sabrina nodded, happy to be working in a store that was in her favorite mall.

Sabrina got up off the kitchen table and headed over to the fridge to pull out some food, while Leila listed down about a hundred things that she was planning on buying for the sole purpose of wanting to do so. 

"Anyone want a sandwich? Make whatever you like." Sabrina called, pointing to the counter which was stacked with cheese, bologna, lettuce and all the other yummy goodness that you could want on a sandwich.

Leila and Emaan stood up and walked over to the counter and starting piling things on their plates. Sabrina pulled out the ketchup and mustard out of the fridge and put it on the counter for them, when Emaan picked up a slice of bread.