Chapter 3: Life Down The Drain

My Mother looked at me like I was insane.

"Danny?" She questioned.

"Yes, okay, Danny. He's, he's trying to tell me something I know it. I just can't figure out what."

"Jason, I think all of this is from a lack of sleep. Just come on and get some rest."

"I can't sleep, Mom. I drift back into the horrors of war if I do."

"This is ridiculous. I'm going to take you to the hospital."

"I'm fine, Mom. Just leave me be! I don't need help!" I got up and limped up the stairs and to my room.

My Mother soon appeared in the door way.

"Jason, you need help.... I can't stand to see you so upset." She said softly.

"I'm fine, Mom. Just leave me alone. I- I don't need help. I can't allow myself too."

"Jase?"

"Damn it! Don't call me that!" I snapped. "He-he needs to have closure. I can't let the memory of him go, Mom. I let him die...he died in my arms and...."

My Mother wrapped me into a tight hug. She had tears in her eyes.

"I have to go.... I can't put you all through this...." I said untangling myself from her arms.

I soon gathered my belongings, headed down the stairs, and out the front door.

******

I limped down the street, tears blurred my vision. I didn't know where I was going and at this moment I didn't care. I wound up at the cemetery. A few of my men were buried here. Danny was too. I sat down and took a deep breath. I felt myself being pulled back into the war.

"Kyle, I need you hang on! We're almost back to base." I said.

Kyle had been shot several times. He was losing blood fast. He didn't speak. He was shaking from the amount of pain he was in and coughing up blood.

"Kyle! Stay with me!"

Kyle didn't make it.

I didn't know how long I sat there or how long I cried.

"Hey buddy, a storm is fixing to brew up. You might want to head home." A passerby said.

"I have no where to go." I said.

"Come on, I'm walking to the shelter down the road."

"A homeless shelter?"

"Yes, I don't have anywhere else to call home."

I picked up my belongings and warily followed the strange man.

"I'm Matthew." The man said after a while.

"I'm Jason." I replied.

Matthew gave a sly smile and nod of his head. "Nice to meet you, Jason." He said.

Once at the shelter a man stopped us.

"Names." He demanded.

"I'm Matthew and this is Jason." Matthew said.

"You're free to go, Matthew. I don't recognize you Jason."

"I'm new here. I've been home from war for almost six months and I've hit rock bottom. I have no where else to go."

"Go on in, Jason. I'll let Father Samuels know."

"Thank you."

"No problem."