Chapter 2: Hallucinations

My Father tossed me the car keys.

"What?"

"Don't what me. I'm coming with you, to make sure you find yourself a suitable job."

"No thank you. I'll walk and I don't need you to hover over me."

I grabbed my hoodie and began to walk out the door. My Father took ahold of my arm. He had a pleading look in his eyes. That ass ripping he got from Mom must of sparked some sense into him.

"Come on, Jase, maybe this may be a bonding moment."

Danny was the only one that called me Jase.

"Don't call me Jase. Let's go, before I change my mind about leaving the house."

My Father gave me a sideways glance as we walked out the door. My Mother waved at us through the window. I slid in the passenger seat.

"Oh no, no,no. You're driving, Jason."

"Bullshit, I'm not driving. I can't."

"Is it because of your leg or what happened during the war."

"My leg."

Lie. The war.

"Jason, you're driving." He said, handing me the keys.

I reluctantly slid into the drivers seat. My heart hammered in my chest. Another awful memory of the war hit me.

I was driving the jeep. Danny was in the passenger seat and three more men sat in back. We were all on pins and needles as we fell in line with the others. Danny gave a laugh. He was always the one to bring a sense of calmness to our group.

"Awww, you guys are so up tight! We are fine. We've been trained for EVERY possible situation!"

We all gave a nervous laugh.

"I mean with Jase driving we are in good hands." He said, giving me a slap on the back.

I wrapped an arm around Danny.

"You always have a positive outlook on things."

"I know."

Then several explosions. The enemy were on our tails. They cut us off. We were all pulled out of the jeep and held at gun point.

"Jason, are we going to leave anytime soon?" My Father said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry."

I turned the key and the car roared to life. I eased out onto the road and merged with traffic. Cars passed us and swerved in front of us. I slammed on the breaks, slinging us forward.

"Jason was the hell are you-"

Then, I slammed on the accelerator. I swerved in and out of traffic and pulled down a side road. My eyes never left the rear view mirror.

"Jason, just stop! Let me drive!" My Father snapped.

A car pulled in behind us and I slammed on the accelerator again. The tires squalled and the chase was on. I out ran the cops, until the car ran out of fuel. A cop drug me out of the car and slammed me against the hood.

"What are you doing!" He shouted.

My Father stepped out and talked to another one of the cops.

"Are you going to answer me!" The cop shouted at me.

"Johnson, clam down. He's a war vet."

I was shaking and I felt light headed.

"Jason come on, let's go home." My Father said.