Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

I was munching on a cracker when I walked into my room to find Paul sitting on my bed, looking at my math homework. Some might think that's weird, but he does it so often I've gotten used to it. His dark blonde hair was burning bright because of the sunset outside my window and I watched him for a moment. He was always so casual, so care free. My feelings of hatred for him were long gone and in its place was a feeling of comfort.

“You got number five wrong,” he finally looked up at me and his hazel eyes sparkled. “Are those crackers? I want some.”

“Go downstairs and get some,” I taunted and the corners of his mouth turned down. “That's what I thought. You're not in here to correct my calculus. What's wrong?”

“Maybe I wanted to help you hone your skills,” he pointed towards my hands. When he saw I didn't buy it he sighed. “I just wanted to check on you. Don't ask why.”

“It's because of the new girl,” I said for him. “Did Holly come back with anything?”

“Well, we checked her transcripts,” he snatched a cracker from my hand and I punched him quickly. “You're becoming more violent. I'm not sure whether I should like it or be scared.”

“Focus. Dahlia,” I sat down next to him and offered him another cracker. He took it willingly.

“All her papers are fake,” he shrugged. “In fact, she has no parents, not real ones anyway. She was emancipated at the age of fourteen. Her life on earth doesn't exist until two years ago.”

“Which means?” I lifted a brow and stared at him trying to figure this out myself. I didn't understand how angels thought, but I knew enough to know that it was a very different thought process from a human's. They knew so many possibilities. I would have never guessed she was a siren, but when Paul brought it up I became worried.

“She's not a siren,” he looked at him with a faint smile.

“Stop reading my mind,” I groaned and got up to walk away from him. Every time he did that it creeped me out a little how I was such an open book to him and I hadn't even met his parents. It was something that had been bothering me for a while, actually. My life was completely open to Paul. I thought briefly of what Carson told me yesterday about running to Paul when I was in need of something. That was all too true and I planed on changing that as of right now.

“If she were a siren she'd be born of two humans and we can't find any record that she's even sixteen years old,” he explained. “Holly's asking around.”

“Asking around to who?” I questioned.

“People.”

“Fine, don't tell me,” I rolled my eyes. “Keep your secrets. Like I care about Holly.” I'd scoffed and Paul started laughing.

“You know she's really excited for Homecoming,” Paul informed.

“Holly? Yeah, I know. I never pegged her for the type,” I shrugged. “But to each their own.”

“She wants to go dress shopping,” he started, “...and she's dead set on taking you.”

“Never going to happen,” I held up my hand to silence him. “She doesn't like me and I don't like her. Why, in a million years, would I go dress shopping with the girl? No. There's nothing you can say to make me change my mind.”

“Well, if you do go please don't let her get anything pink. Wearing a pink tie isn't something I need all my friends to see me in,” Paul looked sick to his stomach as he started to think about having to wear a pink tie. I was extremely confused for a second before I realized that you only color coordinate with you date.