Chapter 16

Chapter16:

Maine couldn't find Dahlia, and I was scared she was going to do something heinous. The dinner had ended and people were milling about the hallways looking at us strangely. I still felt extremely out of place in my black leggings and tank top. Maine grunted and led us to what seemed to be a living room. She motioned for me to sit down and I did so willingly. I was under her spell. She knew it, I knew it, but how do I get out of it?

Maine wanted me to stay seated, that much was clear. My body wasn't going to move itself. It had strict orders from Maine to stay put. No matter how badly I wanted to get up, I just couldn't. Maine turned on the giant flat screen in front of the couch I was sitting on and lazily glanced at me.

"What channel would you like to watch?" she questioned. Was she serious?Television? At a time like this?

"MTV,"I answered not unkindly. I couldn't help not being a bitch to her.The magick she'd used practically prohibited me from doing so. So I was stuck, being nice like this. I knew I couldn't control my body at all. I'd punched Isabella of all people. I had a feeling that if we got through all of this she'd want a couple rounds with me just as payback. If. I should be saying when, but I didn't have any hope. How was I supposed to fight and defend myself when my own body didn't listen to me.

TeenMom danced across the flat screen and I looked away angrily. I hardly watch MTV, why did I say MTV?

"You know," Maine started as she shuffled some books around in a small bookcase under the TV stand. "I thought it was going to get harder controlling you, but you've been a piece of cake, really."

I wanted to spit at her so badly.

"ThenI realized it," She stood up straight looking me right in the eye."You haven't even picked your affinity. I mean, I knew that, of course, but it could be the reason why you're having such a hard time resisting. What do you think?"

Don't get me wrong, I could speak, I just chose not to. I'd say something mean and Maine would threaten to cut off one of my limbs no doubt. Or maybe behead me. She seems like the old fashioned type.

"What angel were you all going to call?" she questioned, sitting on the opposite side of the couch of me. I balled my hands into fists. "Who?Paul, maybe?"

"Shut the hell up," I couldn't help but saying.

"He's not going to save you," she rolled her eyes and turned to look at the TV. "You do understand that, don't you? Paul doesn't even knowhow to get to purgatory. No one does."

"But you seemed to have done it no problem," I twisted my mouth into a scowl.

"It's a one time deal," she shrugged. "This is my home now, I cannot return to heaven and I wouldn't want to."

"It's heaven," I scoffed.

"Spoken like a true mortal," she rolled her eyes and turned back towards me. "It's not all it's cracked up to be. Especially when you died as baby and this is all you know."

"So,what, you wanna be on earth with all the global warming and all the murderers and diseases? That's where you wanna be?" I badgered.

"No,"she let out a long breath. "I want to be here. We can all build anew life here. We're stronger than the angels, Nova. We can be stronger than heaven. Look what I can do to you! An angel with gold wings."

I'm starting to think they're not all they're cracked up to be, I thought bitterly. They hadn't done anything to help me in the situation. I was still locked up in purgatory.